I messed up

pegslilly

In the Brooder
Dec 12, 2015
Messed up and brought 2 new pullets in my yard.. One of them has very light sneeze and i heard a little rattle coming from her once... Is that enough to cull? I have a small yard and everyone is penned up.. She has been in a seperate pen but still close to the rest of the flock.. Shes been in my yard a week and no one else has started smeezing.. Her face or breath does not smell.. Whats the chance whatever it is my flock has it? Shes eating and seems healthy no discharge.. What do u guys think?

Heres a picture of her. It has been monsoon season do u think that could be it?

Is the facial area around the right eye slightly swollen. Hard to tell.

Most respiratory illnesses can be treated with antibiotics. This will help with any secondary infections, but will not "cure" them. They would still be considered carriers.
It depends on which illness it is and what your long term chicken keeping goals are.

Now am noticing that she also holds her head up and opens mouth? I opened mouth and it looks fine .. I just dont want the rest of my chickens getting it if they already havent.. What do you think if shes been in my yard for a week now are the rest of my birds exposed, even though they are separated ? .. Just dont want my other birds to get it and die.. If its not to late for the rest of my flock i rather get rid of her...

Now am noticing that she also holds her head up and opens mouth? I opened mouth and it looks fine .. I just dont want the rest of my chickens getting it if they already havent.. What do you think if shes been in my yard for a week now are the rest of my birds exposed, even though they are separated ? .. Just dont want my other birds to get it and die.. If its not to late for the rest of my flock i rather get rid of her...

She may be gasping?

It' hard to say what she has, but if she does have a respiratory illness there is a good possibility that your birds can become ill.

I don't see you mention your goals at raising chickens. If you ever plan on selling/giving away chicks, hatching egg or getting rid of chickens, then you don't want a contagious illness in your flock.

You will need to consider all these things and make your decision.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/quarantine-of-backyard-chickens-why-and.html

Back
Top Bottom