I met my wounded Soldier

AussieSharon

Songster
12 Years
Dec 18, 2007
Virginia
I am still smiling! Got back from TX last night after flying out this weekend to meet my wounded soldier. I had no idea what he looked like but was sitting eating lunch at the Christmas party for the wounded when a member of Soldiers Angles came walking over to me with a huge smile on his face and a gentleman beside him. I knew right away it was Nelson.

This is after they'd been on a man hunt for the past hour to find him as they said he'd checked out last week ( incorrect info there ) He'd been sitting at another table having lunch before introducing himself to the founder of Soldiers Angels.

So after the initial shock he sat down and we chatted for 2 1/2 hours! I got to give him a laptop for Christmas, supplied by Soliders Angels and all the cards and goodies I'd brought with me. He was so surprised by the cards from everyone on here and he opened and read every single one.

It was so wonderful and we could have sat and chatted for much longer. Everyone else had long packed up and left and it was just the 2 of us sitting outside still talking away.

I even made it to the Alamo 10 minutes before they closed, so I can officially say I've been.

Thanks again to everyone who sent cards and goodies!

wee.gif
Oh YAY!! How wonderful for you both - what a special thing it meant for him and for you.

hugs.gif
to you for all that you've done!

Merry Christmas!

I have WHAT in my yard? :

WOW!! How wonderful for you both! You flew out there to see him?!?!

thumbsup.gif

Yes I ended up flying from Virginia to see him. I got there Saturday evening and was picked up by a Marine at the airport and he took me to my hotel. The same gentleman picked me up Sunday lunch time and took me to Fort Sam to the Christmas party for the wounded, brought me back to my hotel and then delivered me to the airport at 7am yesterday morning. Talk about a terrific guy!

I never could have done it if it wasn't for Soldiers Angels. They took care of everything. All I literally had to do was get on a plane.​

That is so cool!
I'm glad you had a safe and fun trip, and will get to remember the Alamo!

I'll bet Nelson was stunned and amazed. How cool! Did he think you had crazy chicken friends (like my DH does)?

That was a wonderful thing you did. I'm so glad Nelson was delighted with it all. And I'm glad I sent my card to you and it all worked out! I bet you'll smile for weeks.

What a cool experience for you both! I know it meant a lot to you. I have looked at the Soldiers' Angels program many times but have yet to sign up because I figure most of them would be more comfortable with a mother or cute young girl sending them packages than some guy who is rapidly getting old enough to be their dad! lol

Quote:
Not at all. You'd be surprised at the number of men who are Soldiers Angels. Not to mention, although there are some cute young girls for sure, many Angels are old enough to be their parents or grandparents.

I hope you decide to join up, as of this morning there were 690 heroes on Soldiers Angels waiting for adoption. Believe me they are just happy someone back home cares. Not to mention, when you're a guy it's good to be able to talk "guy things" rather than me sharing my ever exciting day as a stay at home Mom.
lol.png

Either way, for all the heroes I've adopted they have all been great and in many cases my mail was the only mail they got.

So cool! What a wonderful experience for both of you. Did you wave to us as you flew over Dallas? The Alamo is a really great historical site, and San Antonio is such a wonderful city. Thanks for being an Angel
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom