i met the neighborhood fox this morning

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by backdoorchicken, May 22, 2010.

1. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    about 6:30am i heard the chickens going crazy. i looked out the window and there was a fox circling the run. i have never seen a fox here before. we live in a city and i was worried that one day a raccoon might get to the chickens but never a fox.

he was a very pretty fox though

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:We have had coyotes move in the last 5-10 years they have pushed most of the fox into town. I trapped fox in N.N 10-15 years ago up on warwick near lee hall , most are grey fox over that way when I got closer to james city county and W'burg I started catching reds . I just caught a grey over here at chesapeake square mall for a lady a coupla weeks ago.

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Foxes (is that plural for fox?) are amazing little animals. They are deadly to chickens but at least they will just grab one, take it back to it's den, and eat it, not just kill everything like a racoon will. They aren't as crafty as coons either. A fox can't get through a well built chicken run.

Keep your camera ready and try to get a few pics.

4. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    Quote:We have had coyotes move in the last 5-10 years they have pushed most of the fox into town. I trapped fox in N.N 10-15 years ago up on warwick near lee hall , most are grey fox over that way when I got closer to james city county and W'burg I started catching reds . I just caught a grey over here at chesapeake square mall for a lady a coupla weeks ago.

i am off warwick in hidenwood. first fox sighting for me.

5. aprophet

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.

i am off warwick in hidenwood. first fox sighting for me.

I am aware of more then a few in near kiln creek and behind K-mart on mercury blvd they would be greys just in the last year or so sandy bottom has a good number.

6. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    this seemed to have red and gray. red in the front and more gray towards the back and rear.

7. aprophet

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:that would be a grey fox a red will be all red with black "boots" .

8. backdoorchicken

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    ok def a gray then.

9. aprophet

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    greys here are a lot smaller then the reds I have seen reds go 7-16 lbs greys are usually 6-8 lbs around here when you see a grey it is more cat like a red acts just like a dog greys will climb trees and cars and shed etc

10. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    They are sure pretty but not a friend of bird owners. They dig well so you have to watch them with cages that can be dug into.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by