I might be in the wrong place

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crzychicken, Feb 26, 2009.

1. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    I have a silkie who's gonw broody I might let he hatch out some eggs but I need help.
    do I leave her in with the rest of the chickens ?
    can I give her anybodys eggs
    and how many ?
    will she eat I haven't seen her leave that nest .

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    She needs a quiet place of her own. The other hens will try to add eggs to her nest if they can get to it. Don't let this happen. Collect the eggs until you have enough for her to sit on. Give them to her all at one time. 6 full sized eggs might be plenty of your silky is small. It just depends on how many she can comfortable cover when she sits.

You will have to make her eat. Tempt her with canned corn and yogurt and other things. Brooding is VERY hard on them.

3. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Put her in a different space so she has privacy. She will probably hatch out different breed. Just leave food and water with her and she will get it when she's ready.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

You can put other eggs under. I move mine out when they go broody, just because you will have other hens laying beside her.
    This is a problem because she is just sitting on too many eggs and they will have different hatch dates.
    She will get up usually about once a day to go to the bathroom and get a bite to eat and a drink. She will know when she needs something. You coulc prob set about 8 or 9 eggs comfortably under her. [​IMG]

5. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    I did see a EE egg in there this morning I just been putting a few other silkie eggs under yesterday and this morning I only want her to hatch a few up until yesterday I was taking them from her. Can she be in the same coop my be in a box or somthing

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can keep her in the coop but give her a large kennel where she can sit and not be bothered by the other chickens.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by