I MIGHT HAVE A BROODY ! + feather everywhere and few eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hcammack, Sep 7, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have a little delaware hen that has been slowly getting a possesed look in her eyes she was sitting all day today after my 4 hens that laid today did. She got up and I checked if there were more eggs and nope same amount then she ate a bit and pooped and got back on! She is not quite crazy looking yet but I hope she gets that way in the next few days. on another note I am getting 4-6 eggs a day from 11 hens :mad: I am going to tell my egg customers its a no go for a while ! I understand days are shorter and also that most of my girls are molting and thats why there are FEATHERS EVERYWHERE one of my cuckoo marans is leaving them everywhere and my faverolle lost like 1/4 of her feathers in a week she has two tail feathers [​IMG] I am getting black sunflower seeds soon for them to grow new feathers.

Any advice for a first time broody owner? I don't really want to break her my mom broke two this summer but I am getting chicks in 4 or 5 weeks and I could hatch if someone has a few eggs for me.

Any advice for getting the girls through this hard molt?

Any questions comment and concerns? [​IMG]

THanks,
    Henry

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Ah... don't you just love molting season? [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just keep them on higher protein if you can or supplement it. They'll work through the uglies in a bit. And your Delaware could be broody-they are a broody breed. Sometimes it takes awhile to work up to it. If she stays on the nest overnight, that would be one sign.

4. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I know that is what I am waiting for ! I hope she is broody where should I get eggs from? or should I wait to get the chicks in 5 weeks if she stays broody that long?

Rooster red it is rather comical to see a poor bald faverolle running around but I know they will have nice new fluffy feathers for winter!

What higher protien should I give them I have been sneaking them non poulty meat scraps a bit they are on 16% layer pellets with garden leftovers and plenty of bugs. What else should I give?

Thanks,
    Henry

5. speckledhen

Well, game bird breeder crumble is what I'm feeding Suede and his ladies right now. It's 20 or 21% protein and should get them through the molt. It's pricey, though, but I guess no more than some other feeds.

6. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    When I make a trip to the feed store I will see if they have some I might just get one bag though if its so pricey I also need scratch to get ready and fatten up for winter (I don't give it all summer) . I spent the day setting up for new chicks in a few weeks Blue and black copper marans and more ameraucana but if I get a broody I don't know I will probably have to build a new tractor or I will keep her in the PVC run with a tarp over it. I would like to hatch some thing BBS either orphs ( I know this is immpossible) or ameraucanas (bigger chance) I only want at maximum 6 eggs and I need to make sure she is tight before I get some so I don't know what to do. I guess just wait.

Henry

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Speckled hen how much more pricey I get a bag or Layer pellets for $12 right now?

8. speckledhen

It really depends on where you are located and the brand. Purina Game Bird Breeder Crumbles are $14.95 right now for 50#. Southern States Super Breeder Crumble is about the same price. Not sure on the co-op's price because they keep ordering it for me and the company keeps sending the wrong feed, LOL. Usually, the co-op is cheaper.

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    cool thanks she is not sleeping in the nest box but I am hoping she will settle I disturbed her a bit when I collected eggs and only left her with one wooden one! she left but after I put the other 3 wooden eggs in the nest and hopefully the other hens will lay in other nests she stoped the ameraucana from laying in the nest and she had to lay outside because that is her favorite nest.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by