I might have bursitis of the hip....

TinyChickenLady

Songster
8 Years
Jul 14, 2011
My backyard farm, Maine
I have it in my shoulder as well but I can't treat it with anything but muscle relaxers. Now my doctor thinks it's in my hip. I just had my bone density test done to check the progress of my osteoporosis and to rule out arthritis. She wants me to do physical therapy. Now here's my question...

Has anyone used the method where the PT uses an ultras sound machine and rubs steroid cream into the joint? What's it like? Would you recommend it or not? I don't want to waste my time with something that won't help me. That's why I stopped doing cortisone shots...

Hi Tiny! I can't believe you have all that going on! I would think you were just in your 20s by your picture.

So sorry you're going through all of that. I have had some ultrasound treatments on my back, and they do feel good. I think you would enjoy them.

Sharon

Hi Tiny! I can't believe you have all that going on! I would think you were just in your 20s by your picture.

So sorry you're going through all of that. I have had some ultrasound treatments on my back, and they do feel good. I think you would enjoy them.

Sharon

X2!! Ouch! I feel your pain. I'm in my early 20's with a joint condition. Long story short, I have chronic dislocations in all of my major joints (shoulders, hips, knees, etc). Muscle relaxants would actually do way more harm than good for me, but on the other hand I am becoming more and more dependant on narcotic pain killers with each passing day.
hmm.png

About the physical therapy. I have never had that treatment done, but I have had electro therapy that worked WONDERS in pain management. It's called a Tens (sp?) Unit. It has 4 little wires with sticky pads on them that you attach to your body. Then you adjust how many watts of electricity you want. It feels AMAZING. I am not familiar with bursitis, but maybe this could help?

Thank you chicmom. I am only 25 but I went through premature menopause when I was 18 so I'm getting along of the health issues along with it that a 65 year old should be going through. I think I will try the ultra sound treatments. Thanks for your input on it :)
@Chicknthief - I have had the electro treatments on my shoulder before they decided to switch me to contisone shots. I liked them a lot at the time but unfortunately, the relief didn't last very long and the exercises didn't do much good either
hu.gif
I'm their little medical anomaly LoL None of the treatments lasted much more than a month because the shoulder bursitis is so bad. It's affecting my shoulder too much and now my doc is trying to get ahead of hip issue before it gets too bad.

Dang
hmm.png
That's no good. I am so sorry to hear it.
hugs.gif

Hopefully the ultra sound treatments will do you some good!

Last edited:
Unpleasant update....
My bone scan results came in and my osteo has gotten worse. They want to put me (a 25 year old) on Fosamax. I've been researching it and asking a few pros about it and I don't like what I'm learning.
Anyone have any experience with this med?

Wow, I was just thinking of my poor sore hip when I saw this thread. I haven't been to my doc yet, but I've had bursitis before and I'm pretty sure I have it again. I probably have osteo as well, although my doc isn't the best and I haven't gotten her to check yet.

Mine's an overuse injury from running/aerobics/etc,so I am going couch potato again for a bit. Plus I had hip surgery when I was 17 (a long time ago), so that doesn't help.

I hope it goes well for you - will keep an eye out to find out what works.

Last edited:
At the risk of sounding like one of those annoying people who knows how to fix people she's never met....Have you considered food intolerances? Like gluten, soy, milk, etc?

Wow, sorry you have so many health problems at such a young age. I have had bursitis of the hip...twice...and I know how painful it can be. Ultrasound treatments will help and so will the physical therapy movements they give you to do (my favorite was a stretching one where you brace yourself in a doorway and cross your legs - they'll show you). The ultrasound therapy drives the fluid out of the joint, which in bursitis is what is causing all that pain.

Fosamax - now that one has some questions about it. There are some questions that it really works, it has been linked to femur fractures, and "jaw death", neither of which you want. I am 55, have had a hysterectomy, and on steroids for Addison's disease and I don't take Fosamax. You can approach it nutritionally rather than chemically.

And I am with the earlier poster - have you had a workup at say a major university facility to find out why this is happening to you? (I have a rare illness and I am seen at Vanderbilt in Nashville)

Best to you and hang in there - and try the ultrasound...

deb g

Back
Top Bottom