1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I miss my baby..... (long)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by 65browneyes, Jan 3, 2009.

1. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    Back in September, I found a little Chihuahua dog in my fully fenced, gates always closed yard. Called the Humane Society to give them a description of the dog and my info. Once upon a time, they would gratefully accept any offer to foster a stray, as they are always so full, particularly in today's economy. Animals are being left behind and dumped constantly by people losing their homes.

At any rate, the Humane Society informed me (not so politely) that I would "have to bring the animal in" that they cannot and WILL not take any information. And, by the way, if I keep it here for 3 days, they recognize it as MY animal and THEY do NOT accept "surrender dogs".

Ticked me smooth off! When I told DH what I had been told, he was just as upset as I was and said the dog could live with us if his owners didn't show up.

So, I took his picture and posted it at the feed stores, etc, around town. Nobody claimed him. So, we dubbed him "Dewey". DH calls him "Screwey D". Dewey is pretty fearful (which I'm told is typical of the breed) he is still learning how to play, and I'm not so sure he undersood english when he first came here (honestly). But a really sweet little boy. He's not neutered (yet) and thinks he needs to mark EVERYTHING as his.

He's taken to sleeping with us at night. Usually under the covers, RIGHT next to me. I've grown to rather enjoy his warmth on my tired old back.

I walk him every afternoon/evening so he doesn't leave any little 'gifties' for DH to step in first thing in the morning. He loves it, and so do I (especially the side effects I've gotten--a bit more room in the seat of the pants).

I realized Tuesday that Dewey hadn't urinated normally all morning. Watched him carefully all afternoon and at 4, I called the vet. I didn't think he had urinated more than a drop or two all day. They can see him the next day, I'm told.

So, bright and early the next day, to the vet we go. "Hmmmmm.......he's really swollen.......I'm thinking it's prostrate, but could also be stones. Let's take some x-rays." DD and I wait........and wait........when they call us back to see the digital films, we see what looks like a fracture of "himself" (family forum here; I didn't know boy dogs had a bone 'there'.)

"He'll have to stay so we can anesthetize him and get a good look."

Not a fracture at all, he's full of stones! And, apparently, dogs who are prone to urinary stones typically make one or the other of two kinds. Not Dewey, he makes 'em both! (can't remember the two kinds now)

He's been at the vets' since Wednesday because: a) he keeps pulling his catheter out (making it difficult to empty the bladder), and b) he's not urinating on his own. Until he can urinate on his own, he can't come home. I really didn't realize how much he meant to me until he wasn't here.

Here's mama's boy the day he showed up here. Look at his enormous smile!

[​IMG]

Sorry this is so long. Just needed to vent to folks who I KNEW would sympathize. Thanks for lending me your shoulders!

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I totally understand what you are going through.... I will pray he comes through his treaments and is home to you soon.

3. bantamman13

bantamman13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Sorry to hear about Dewey's problems cant stand it when either one of my girls are ailing either. Recently had to take my Daschund for some back problems it about killed me worrying about her till she was back. Good vibes headed Dewey's way.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Yo quiero Taco Bell!!!

5. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

What a little cutie pie! I hope everything turns out OK for him!! [​IMG]

6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope he is back home with you soon.

He really hit the jackpot when he found you and your husband!

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a cutie! Im sure he will be back home, under the covers soon!

8. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    He is fabulous!!!!! wish I was nearer I would take him off your hands! Kudos to you for looking after him..hope he has a speedy recovery [​IMG] he is a lucky boy having you as his mamma!

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

YOUCH! Poor little guy!

10. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    what a cute little guy. Poor thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by