I miss my chickens...

jackrooster

Songster
10 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Maine
I havent been on here for about a year in a half, and so tonight I thought I would check it out. and after seeing all the pictures and reading a bunch of stories about everyones chickens, I really really miss all of mine! I had over 100, 112 to be exact, and they were ALL named. Now I know that sounds like alot of names buut every single one had a name and I could tell every single one apart from eachother, I had laying hens, ornamental, and bantams, I miss waking up to the sound of my one legged Rhode island red rooster Jack who was the nicest rooster that has ever hatched into my life! I think of him alot.

I had to give up alot of my chickens because we were building a barn and I was bringing all my horses home (we baorded them out) because my trainer sold her barn and with my 5 horses all of her boarders came to my farm. I was only 17 when this happened. My chickens were scaring my and the boarders horses, and I kind of over looked it and thought the horses would get used to it. My parents told me I should thin out my flock alittle with all the horses coming home and the boarders were complaining, soo i thinned my flock out to 25, one of the hardest things I had to do in my life. But I knew where everyone went and knew they wouldnt be killed for meat so that made it alittle better. Then when things were looking up, thats when the fox started coming......I was down to 10 chickens. I was out in the barn late one night and herd a big comotion going on over in the coop, and I ran over as fast as I could to see what it was, but when I got there all I found was feathers. My favorite rooster Jack, who I had hatched from an egg and lived on my farm for 9 years was killed. He had seen so many battles in his time at the farm and lived through them all. I was very sad about loosing jack and after that I made the choice to rehome the rest of my chickens where I knew they would be safe. I have thought about getting some more not alot but 10 or 15 but im going to collage next year and my parents already agreed to take care of my horses for me so I dont want to over whelm them all of this. Buut I try not to think about chickens alot because then I would get some crazy idea about getting more. I know that one day I will have chickens agaian!

I know how much you must be missing your chickens and Jack especially. Will you be going away to college or is it local? I ask because other collage bound bycers have mentioned they are allowed to have a pet in the dorm. If so, maybe you could have a serama to keep you company. My friend has two hens and they take confinement very well - they are so tiny they are easy to house and easier to hide if they have to be stealth chickens.

You have a good head on your shoulders- if you have to put off chickens for awhile, I know you will be able to do so. College goes fast - really it does and it will keep you busy. I hope you will check into BYC when you have the chance so we get to hear how things are going for you. I'm so sorry to hear about Jack- 9 years is a good long time for a chicken and I'm sure he had the very best home and owner possible.

I'm so sorry about all your chickens.
hugs.gif
You did a wonderful thing, finding them all safe homes like you did. And you know what, you WILL get some more chickens, you'll see! In the mean time, stay on BYC, and keep updated, okay?

Back
Top Bottom