I miss my roo

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by polloprincess2, Dec 1, 2011.

1. polloprincess2

polloprincess2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    [​IMG] I live in the city currently and one of my chickens, my favorite actually turned out to be a cockerel. [​IMG] Started crowing day before yesterday. We are not allowed roos in the city. He was an EE, sold to me as an Ameraucana. The most outgoing. First one to run to me when I appeared outside. Loved all the treats I brought to the flock. Would jump and down with joy when I would go to the garden to pick something for them. Now my hens are all standing around like they are in shock. With no leader. They aren't as active and seem sad. [​IMG]

I am hoping to replace him with another hen or two but, it is hard to find hens that are 5 months right now. [​IMG]

2. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    I'm sorry for your loss. I had 3 turn out to be roos out of 7.... fortunatley we had a nice place to take them.

3. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:I know exactly how you are feeling.....I am missing my roo also!!! Out of the 6 chickens I have,Charles (it was Charolette) he was my favorite right from the start, maybe because he was outgoing and extremely friendly, followed me everywhere. They are 23 weeks now, but it was back in October when he started crowing, so I had to rehome him. I am paying for his keep where he is living now, but the ride up there is about 2 hours away, so visiting him won't be happening often. I do think about him often though. This is a picture of Charles from October, the day before he went to live at his new home.
    [​IMG]

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    For me I love the crowing. It's music to my ears compared to a 10 year old hollering "why" all the time. And uncontrolled dogs barking. Or neighbors fighting. God knows I love the county living.

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I had to rehome my roo, too, and later learned he was killed by a fox protecting his new ladies. I felt AWFUL. I know that this happens (I've lost one to a fox, too), but these people started a flock of ten pullets in the spring and only have four left. What the??!!

Poor Jack. I bet he was going to be a good rooster to my girls, too.

I don't mean to imply anything bad will happen to Charles. I'm sure he'll be fine. If it's any consolation, I heard Jack took to his new surroundings/ladies very quickly.

6. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Awwwww, I'm sorry about Jack.
    Where Charles is living now, it is very woodsy, so I often think about foxes and all the other kinds of predators that could get him.

7. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    I know how you feel as well. from the 12 chickens i got 4 were roos, one died and the other three had to be rehomed. and i lost 2 of my hens! now I'm down to six girls. I also had an EE roo, he was the sweetest guy and ran over to you to be picked up.

8. shouldbdiving

shouldbdiving Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    I am so sorry! I know how you feel! I just had to re-home my third "hen" that turned out to be a rooster. He was a stunning uniquely marked Showgirl. I absolutely loved each one of them and it gets more difficult each time. My hens did the same thing as yours. They seem to go through a rough transition and seem "lost" without their roo. Mine take about a week it seems. I did introduce new hens into my old flock with great success even though some of them were already 6 months or more. It takes some patience depending on the structure and breeds, but it is definitely doable. Just don't follow my lead and pick out more baby roosters!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by