I miss my rooster------ update he's back!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by raymarkson, Nov 21, 2010.

1. raymarkson

raymarkson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Georgia
    It's been one week since my rooster Caillou disappeared. Initially, we did not want any roosters, but I got really attached to this one so we kept him. Now he's gone and I sure do miss him.
    Goodbye, Caillou!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good news! Caillou is back home after almost 2 weeks. Earlier this evening, I heard a lot of commotion happening in my neighbor's coop, about three houses down. When I looked, I saw that several roosters were really beating up one of their chickens. They were chasing it all over the run. The chicken that was being beaten up looked like it might be my bird. "No" I thought, "that couldn't be Caillou." Really I couldn't tell from so far away but I became very curious, so I went up for a closer look... yes, I was kind of trespassing but I really wanted to know. Then I saw him. It WAS Caillou! He almost did not look recognizable, though, because he was so dirty, thin, and looking very beat up, but it was him. He was pacing back and forth trying to find a way out of the run but the other roosters just continued pecking at him and chasing him back in the coop. So, I went and knocked on the neighbor’s door. When they opened the door, I started to explain that I think that my rooster was shut up inside their coop... then I realized that they did not understand what I was saying. So I stared explaining the situation in Spanish (my Spanish is not great, but I can manage). After they understood what I was saying, they we're very nice about it and they sent someone down with me to open up the run. When I arrived in front of the run I swear Caillou recognized me and came running up to me like a puppy at the pound. When the girl saw this, she knew he was obviously my rooster and she let me in the run to retrieve him. As I entered all of the other roosters scattered and ran from me, but Caillou did not. He let me pick him right up. As I was carrying him home, he was closing his eyes. I noticed that he seemed to weigh about half of what he weighed two weeks ago (that's probably an exaggeration but he’s significantly lighter) His comb is smaller and almost white. Poor guy!!!! I hope he recovers.
    I have no idea how he ended up in the neighbor’s coop, I did not ask a lot of questions because I thought that my limited Spanish might lead to a lot of misunderstandings. I just said muchas gracias, and I was on my way.
    Welcome home Caillou!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a fabulous face! I'd miss him too!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Aww, sorry you lost him. Handsome boy.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm really sorry about your boy-he was sure a cutie.

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I am sorry to hear that he disappeared. He sure is beautiful!

6. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    Awww I'm sorry for your loss [​IMG] I never wanted roosters either but they tug at your heartstrings and you can't say no! Very handsome boy.

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    awwe, he's cute [​IMG]

8. raymarkson

raymarkson Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    Georgia
    update

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer