I miss them!!!

Big Dreamer

Songster
9 Years
Aug 21, 2010
Central, FL
Ok, some of you know that i live on a canal in FL, so i got some muscovies, AND THEY CAN FLY!!!!They, well only 2 just started flying like crazy and today after i got home from school, i went out to go pet bigmomma my male pekin and when i got up i guess i startled one of the muscovies that coould fly and she flew up on the fence and down into the canal, by the way we have a gator in our canal, i didnt know where he was rite then, but i wasnt about to jump in with a gator and barnacles all over the place so i ran inside and got my mom and sissy(called her that since i could talk) and we couldnt get her out, because shes not that friendly, so i was bawling my eyes out because i knew she would just never come back until 30 minutes later when i got one of my dads fishing nets that are like 15 feet long and 3 feet wide and i cornered her into the back of the canal and i caught her, she fraked out and i thought she would choke herself in the net, thankfully she didnt!!so after that i got the other one that could fly,(one of my favorites) and i put them in a dog crate and my mom and i drove to mr.bills, hes a friend with a big pond and 8 acres, and i let them go into his pond and they imediatley started to eat the little duck weed and so i knew they were happy, they were head bobbing and peeping, but then my dad comes home from work andtells me that they will probably fly away and hide or get killed, and im sad now because i cant get that thought out of my head...
hit.gif

Will they stay or fly away from the pond, he dosent have a pen or anything for them, but he has chickens with a pen, will they fly away or stay by the pond? they have never been to the pond and dont know the area, we live like 10 miles fromh im! I'm sorry im just really scared rite now and i dont want them to be gone when we visit, because i was planning on releasing another 2 of them into his pond so their would be 4 of them at the pond and i would just have 2 muscovies a pekin and then im aloud to get WH so ill get like 3 of those.....im rambling, ill sop now!!
frow.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really hard to say if they will fly off. It's hard when they're not kept in a pen to keep them in one place. I would suggest wing clipping, but if they have no safe spot, that would make them very vulnerable to predators. I think we shall have to wait and see what happens.

At our public lake, we have an old Muscovy drake that has lived there for a very long time, happily. He can fly, but most of the time he chooses not to. And, he seems to evade predators just fine. I think if your ducks are happy and get food they like, they will be happy there.

I got Mallards last year and they too will fly. One day they ALL took off.I was devistated. However, after a half hour, 5 of the six came marching (not flying) home. I was relieved but will always wonder what happened to number 6.

A year went by and one day a drake took off. Hasn't returned. So I know exactly how you feel. If you get the flying type of ducks, expect to lose a few to the sky.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom