I mixed up my chickens...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Billford, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Billford

Billford Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2013
    I'm new to chickens and I think made a big mistake. I put them all in the same pen...about 6months ago. I have Buff Orpingtons, RIRs, Black Stars/sex links, Black Copper Marans, and Americaunas. Most of them I can figure out, but can't tell the difference between the BCM hens and the Black Stars/sex links. What's the trick? TIA

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Marans should have some leg feathering according to their standard

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Most Black Copper Marans have some feathering on their legs, while Black Stars are clean-legged. BCMs tend to be more massive in size, too.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Unfortunately, some hatchery Marans have clean legs, so this isn't an absolute.

The BCM vs. BSL is tricky, if they are all clean-legged. In a BCM, there should only be copper on the neck. In a BSL, the red often continues down the breast. Also, your BCM should have orange eyes and pink or white on the bottoms of their feet, and five points on the combs. They should also mature heavier than the BSL. Marans in the USA are a fairly heavy breed.

Since BSL can be different crosses and I don't know which you have, I can't tell you how many points on their combs, etc. You might just have to get the BCM standard and work through a process of elimination. Also, your BSL should develop more quickly, and their combs should redden up faster, and they should already be laying. Your BCM might take a bit longer to mature.

1 person likes this.
  5. Billford

Oct 15, 2013
    Unfortunately they all have clean legs but one. The BSL I believe are RIR and Barred Rock a few of the Roos look just like Barred Rocks and we got all but the BCM from the same hatchery

6. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    Do you have pics?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pretty much this.

I'm not a Marans person, but don't the coppers have a "collar" of copper around the neck, while the bsl hens tend to just have it in front and down the chest?

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    That's a good description of it, yes.

9. Billford

Oct 15, 2013
    Here's some pics
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    How many BCMs were you supposed to have?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by