I moved some chicks into the coop and they have been crying non-stop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by notiones, Oct 30, 2011.

1. notiones

notiones Out Of The Brooder

Oct 12, 2011
    Big Springs, KS
    I moved two RIR chicks who are between 7-8 weeks old into the main coop and they will not bed down or roost. Instead they are crying incessantly. Is this too soon? Should I move them back into their own roosting box? They are fully feathered.

I will not be able to sleep tonight worrying about them. I did move a heat lamp into the coop hoping it would help them acclimate.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    I would be hesitant to move itty bitties in with full a grown flock that early. They might also be chilly if you have had a light on them/or kept indoors til now. I normally start by putting the babies in a cat carrier in the big coop at night. Then I know they are safe and getting used to their new home. Mine only chirp constantly when they are scared or cold. If you dont have any big girls, I would leave them, maybe give a heat source if they have been under a light or inside! Good Luck!!

3. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    Just saw that you added a heat lamp- sorry I read to fast!

4. notiones

Oct 12, 2011
    Big Springs, KS
    They are in with the big girls and a couple are really big, but this is not their first introduction. They have been sharing the same run for a couple of weeks now. If one of the bigger hens gets too aggressive, the Rooster usually steps in and puts a stop to it so I guess I thought it was time for a full integration. Now I am having second thoughts.

5. notiones

Oct 12, 2011
    Big Springs, KS
    It looks like they finally bedded down for the night so I guess I will re-evaluate the situation tomorrow. At least now I can sleep.

6. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Quote:Its hard to let them w/o wanting to open the door and check on them. Expect some bc they are used to being in another place. Different sound, different temp, no light (ie heat lamp) and the difference is messing with them. Sit around and they will start the little sleeping peeping. Don't be in a hurry to check on them and don't disturb them.

7. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Turn off the heat lamp and walk away. Do not return until morning. They will be fine, I assure you.

Chickens are EVIL!!! they want you to worry loose sleep and spend every waking moment you have paying attention to them. They are horribly uncaring about anything but sapping every ounce of energy you have.

It is time to take a stand, show the little bugars who is boss, might even want to go yell at them just out of spite. Open the back door and scream IM FED UP AND I'M NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANY MORE!!!!

The first line is true, the rest is just, well chicken envy I guess...

8. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

9. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Quote:[​IMG] Gonna have to quote you on this, Wyododge - it's hilarious, and it's TRUE!!! [​IMG]

10. notiones

Oct 12, 2011
    Big Springs, KS
    They were both alive this morning, though one was literally sitting on top of the heat lamp and the other had wedged itself between the feeder and coop wall. I thought I was going to have to disassemble the feeder to get her out. Oh well. The heat lamp comes out tonight and it will be time for the chicks to toughen up.

I have had coyotes in the back yard that are brave enough to run straight at me, though they always stop a couple of yards short. Lucky for them. Anyway, the chicks need to be with the bigger flock for their own safety.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by