1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I moved the broody! Will she be on them tomorrow?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Moochie, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I moved her at night because someone suggested it's better to do that instead of moving her during the daytime. Last time I moved her she didn't sit on these 2 eggs and was trying to get out of the pen. I think I moved her too far and too early in the incubation, on the first day. My bad..
    Anyways today is day 6 and other than the EE eggs I have been candling and all is well! I can't see nothing through the green shell, I know they're fertilized though so I suppose the chances are 80/100? I hope so!
    I had to move Mama because her original place she decided to brood.. Well... Not a good place. Started out with 7 eggs and went down to 5 [​IMG] Most likely because other hens who like to lay eggs in that spot that Mama chose some of the eggs must have gotten cracked and mushed with the moving around and such. *Sigh. In March it was 5 eggs and we were hoping to do more this time because last time we got 5 boys. It's nice to get pullets.. We'll just have to see this time.
    Will she be sitting on them tomorrow when I check on her in the morning, around 8am? I will be majorly frustrated and bummed if she won't do it. Please please try to give me the best input you can.

*By the way, is this an odd time of year for hens to go broody? Most of mine went broody in the spring and early summer.

2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I tried to move mine early and she freaked out so I left her where she was til the first one hatched then moved them quickly to the cage. Then she stayed on them. I also moved her totally away from the other chickens where she couldnt see them. Maybe that made a difference. By the way she has hatched 9 so far and one egg is pipped tonight.

3. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    JW... What is pipped? The noise or when they start to break through?

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    When the first make the little hole in the egg.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I always moved mine when they showed me they were going to be a consistent broody....about a week and a half after they started to sit. Then I'd put the eggs under her that I gathered the day I moved her and removed the ones she was sitting upon. Some of those eggs she would be sitting on had been layed later by other hens who snuck into her nest, etc. By replacing with eggs laid that day, I pretty much could have them all hatch the same day.

If you moved her after full dark and didn't turn on any lights, left her brooder dark and make sure it's a quiet, private little place, she should still be sitting on them in the morning. I'd try to disturb her as little as possible for the next couple of days.

6. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Ehh I had to use a flashlight or else I couldn't have moved her or the eggs... [​IMG] I covered the pen with a blanket though.. I noticed she was looking around in the pet carrier but still on the eggs.

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

No worries...I use a flashlight too but I don't shine it directly on her or the area to which I am moving her. Just enough to let me see where I'm putting things. Sounds like she will be fine...I'd leave that blanket on there for awhile tomorrow and just peek in to see what she is doing. I've done the same thing but with a large towel. Good method.

8. slurrywidow

slurrywidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:x2. I have a first time broody (me and her) and I did pretty much the same as Beekissed said except I used shipped eggs. My girl did fine, stuck to the nest like glue, and I'm 4 days away from hatch. [​IMG]

9. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    She's on them! Phew...
    Now I just need to get rid of ants and keep them away when they hatch. I've been seeing alot more of these tiny red ants around and sevin dust seems to keep them away. But I need heavier duty stuff to keep them away, I've read stories of eggs that have pipped and ants dominate them. DE should take care of this right? How much does that usually cost?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by