1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I murdered our best sweetest hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by feliciamckee, Aug 7, 2011.

1. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    We suspected our young hen of having Coryza. She had all of the symptoms. After researching on the net, I read that I could give her a shot of pen. I hated to do this, but she was very sick and Duramicin in her water for over 10 days dad had no effect. I had given my roo pen before when he was attacked by a dog and it was no big deal and he got better quickly after the injection.

I thought I followed all of the advice...my daughter held her in her arms an her back (this was easy because she loves to be held this way and always goes to sleep.) After she settled in I felt for her breast bone and went a little to the right and down so not to get close to her heart. I was pretty sure I was injecting into the breast muscle. I had about 4 ml. in the syringe. She didn't even stir when the needle went in but after I got about 2ml. in, she started squirming and then sat up and just went limp! My daughter was panicking and so was I. We couldn't believe what we were seeing! My daughter said, SHE'S GONE! Oh, no what did I do? I killed her! We were devestated! I called my friend and she said she could have had an allergic reaction. Is this what happened? Did I overdose her? Did I give the injection in the wrong place? What ever the answer, I feel horrible! My kids are still crying. They said it wasn't my fault, but I know it is. [​IMG]

I get so frustrated that we cannot take our special pet chickens to the vet...to someone who knows what they are doing!

2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry for you. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

You tried what you thought best.

3. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] so sorry for your loss

4. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm - air bubble, maybe? You didn't inject into the body cavity, right? Just into the meat of the breast? I think it would have taken a couple of minutes for an alergic reaction to kill her.

5. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    I am so sorry!! [​IMG]

6. feliciamckee

feliciamckee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    J Bro
    I didn't think about an air bubble! I used to be a phebotomist, you would think I would know how to use a needle, but that was a long time ago. I thought it was the breast. I kept feeling and feeling and it was so hard to tell. She is (was) all feathers and it felt like muscle but may not have been. Oh no, if it was in the body cavity what did that do to her? She did die very suddently and did not suffer, but I can't believe I would make such a terrible mistake!

BTW, her name was Babs...she was a round fat ball of furry feathers. She was always the slowest and the last in line when running. She loved to be carried around and gave my kids a lot of joy and they had fun with her. I am so sorry![​IMG]

7. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Did you draw back on the syringe before injecting to make sure that there was no blood? If you hit a vein or artery, this can cause cardiac arrest. Penicillin should no be injected into the blood stream...unless it is for use in IV and then it is diluted. I did this once with a goat, I would as a vet tech for a research facility. The goat dropped immediately...I had pulled back but the goat jumped when I injected and the meds went into her blood stream. I pounded on her chest for several minutes, seemed like hours, and she revived. Sounds like this is what happened to your chicken. Not your fault, just a mistake, don't beat yourself up. You were trying to save her!!!

As far as the air bubble...it would have had to be a big air bubble to put her down that fast! You would have noticed that in the syringe.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  8. Rachy

Rachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    UK
    [​IMG] You were attempting to do the best for your girl, it's what any of us would do. I am so sorry she didn't make it xxxxx

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    O I am so sorry [​IMG] for your loss.

iAnd it always happens to the special ones. [​IMG] I amsure she is in chicken heaven.

10. roz

roz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    MA
    I am so sorry for your loss too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by