I must be crazy?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by newbie32, Aug 28, 2013.

1. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    LOL I read a lot on here since I joined just a short time ago. So many stories of a beloved hen. I enjoy all my chicks and cant wait to bring home my new additions soon. BUT-Am I the only one that adores my rooster? I realize sooo many of you have problems with your roos, and mine are still very young, but I just adore him. He is always the first to come to me in the brooder. Its probably because he is protecting the others but I like it. He is very good to my girls. Last night when I was cleaning the brooder I put him back in there first (because he doesn't run from me as much) and every chick I put in after he inspected to make sure all was well as I brought them in. He pecks at the tools I use to tidy up the brooder as if they are a threat to him and the girls. When I took them outside to the coop for play time (before it got to 100 degrees) he herded the girls around. I am a little scared he will flog me one day but he is my favorite!

Anyone else out there have their roo as their fav? I am not going to eat my lil guy, he has grown on me :)

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    my wife and i have "oscar", hes a white rock; he is one of the first breeders we bought. hes getting old and doesn't look near as pretty as he used to, but we can't tell him that! (he normally carries his tail better than in this picture he was molting when i took it)

[​IMG]

3. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Awww he is pretty! Has he ever flogged you? Is he an attention hog? My little guy is very young still. But he will be gorgeous and BIG! He is already big! Best pic I have so far-you might've seen on another forum when I was double checking that he was a roo. He is in the front.
    [​IMG]

4. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    when you walk in the coop he runs at you, happy to see you more than anything. he doesn't like to be held but loves to be petted. people are afraid of him when he comes running because he is so large. hes around 15 lbs in his prime.

5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    if those legs mean anything - he is going to be huge!

6. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    15pounds?! OMG yes big. LOL I would be scared too. But with Roo-thats his name- I don't think I will be unless he jumps in my face. That's what flogging is right, jumping in the face and pecking? But if he did that I would just swat at him. I see why the rooster is on so many home decorations now. They are quite lovely with their tails so pretty and their stance so proud. When Roo gets bigger I will post many pictures for all to see.
    Oscar is quite handsome and the ladys probably love him[​IMG]

7. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    he is to old to do much good anymore with the ladies, but my wife wont let me sell or send him to freezer camp.

typically when they flog they just climb your leg, it doesnt hurt to bad (usually) but it will scare the crap out of you... my wife will never wear shorts in the coop again because of it LOL.

8. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    I promised my kiddos we would not eat our first years chickens ever. They wanted to name them and I didn't want attachment issues so I agreed just this flock we wouldn't eat. But I was not talking about roosters when I made the promise. He is lucky I like him LOL.
    How old is too old to mate?
    I will start wearing pants if he gets brave and tries to flog me. I honestly could handle the leg as long as he doesn't go after my face. I might accidently kick him so hopefully he never tries to because I don't want to hurt him. I have a feeling I am going to spoil him. oh well, as long as he protects my girls I shall protect him and cherish him.

9. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    to old is when they are to stiff legged to stand on the hen i guess. he cant keep up with hens, so we retired him to just running around. he is about 8 years old, ive heard of people breeding older roosters but i cant tell you how well they done.

10. newbie32

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    Well 8 years old seems pretty good for retirement in chicken years LOL. At least he makes the run look pretty! I chose all my chickens based on me being able to look at them and know they are pretty. Vain yes I know but too bad. I have 2 Silkies coming soon. Next year I will get a few Barred Plymouths because I think their coloring will make me happy to look at them. My Buff Orpingtons are pretty and will be able to give me yummy eggs plus a good size roaster-their offspring will be the roasters. My polish is here because my teen girls thought the Mohawk looked cool and I use it as bribing to get them to check on the chickens a few times a day when I am busy.
    What kind of breeds do you have?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by