I must be plauged with bad events...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck Keeper, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Now I think my goose may have Coccidosis????? She's got little specks of blood/reddish material around her vent, and some of the ducks have watery brown poop. [​IMG]
    She hasn't been laying (hasn't started yet) and some of the ducks have.

I feel like I'm doing everything wrong.

But I'm keeping their pen cleaner, they're on Duramycin-10 for bumblefoot, and they get to free range all day. We're going to have a barn built for them within maybe two months (?), and hopefully I'll be able to keep it a lot cleaner than the dog kennel is now.

Any suggestions? I know that most of you (no offense) aren't vets, but I'd still like to try something I might be able to find at home before I run out and buy loads of medicine... We haven't been able to eat their eggs for like six days now. [​IMG]

2. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Is linoleum really a good choice inside the barn? I think it would help cut down on cleaning time, but if whoever has some would give me pros and cons it would be nice. ^-^

3. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I gave them a bath, and they seem loads happier! I hope this was an isolated event... But in any case, I'd still like suggestions.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    wish i could help you! [​IMG]

5. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    I wish you could too! [​IMG]

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Quote:Sorry you feel plauged. Things will get better. [​IMG]
    I myself don't think I would use linoleum unless you are going to put something on it. I would think it would get slippery if it is raining out and they are going in and out with wet feet. I have been blessed with a concrete floor.

7. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i used vinyl stick on tiles in my pen, and boy it helps! After i shovel and sweep up yicky shavings/pellets, i run the swiffer mop over the vinyl to get it clean. Occasionally there is a poop stain that needs to be scrubbed, but it's easier. And you don't have to worry about poop/bacteria staining into the wood floor of your barn (it will also stain and absorb into painted floors).

I got mine from a closeout kinda place (I wouldn't go to a lowes or home depot unless yu have to, those factory outlet places are much cheaper). I bought them for 29cents each. I only needed about 60 of them since my pen isn't that big (I lined the sides of my pen too to prevent them from pooping against the wall)

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    oh and watery poop doesn't always mean sickness.... If they have access to their water and drank a whole lot, there's more liquid in the poop making it look like diarrhea. I'd keep an eye on them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by