I must refrain myself from buying more babies tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, May 12, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My 2 chicks quickly multiplied to 8.[​IMG] My neighbor bought 4 chicks earlier in the week and is going back tomorrow for a couple/few more. She says she NEEDS me to come with tomorrow to help her pick her chicks. There is a huge shipment with several varietys of sexed pullets, which doesn't matter. I buy from straight bin too.[​IMG].

How the heck do I go there without bringing home chicks myself? I told her I couldn't go just for the fact that I would add to my own flock. My coop and run has room for 2-3 more chickens. She keeps asking me and the good neighborly thing to do is go with her. I've been stressing out over this, dh would be so mad if I brought more home.

2 weeks ago I went to the store and brought home 3 more chicks after he said no![​IMG] I will try my best not to bring more home, but I'm not holding my breath. I never imagined I'd act this way in the first place.lol I fully understand chicken math and how addicting it is to buy little chicks.

2. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    bless your heart! good luck that chicken math is tuff, gets ya every time!!!![​IMG]

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh my you are between a rock and a hard place.(I think that is how it is said) LOL. All I can say is good luck. I know I would need it. Let us know how it goes.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You know, chicken math is a standing joke on BYC, and that's OK, we've probably all fallen victim one time or another. But in the end you have to think about how much space they will have, and whether you can actually offer them what they need, or will thrive in.

5. lutz123

lutz123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't go. You need to save that extra room for next spring when the itch hits again.

I have 12 chicks & 7 keets in my dining room right now, and I only intend to keep 3 of the chicks. Fell victim to the feed store urge twice AFTER I bought my first 8. I found a home through craigslist thankfully for 9 of the chicks. By having so many though, I was really able to hand pick the ones I wanted to keep. [​IMG]

There's always a chicken swap or auction if you end up with too many and don't get too attached. I'd steer clear though if you keep every animal that enters your property.

6. SuperChiks

SuperChiks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    North Carolina
    Boy do I know how hard this is! I am brand new at this and am instantly addicted. I have had my chicks for two weeks now and just went back for more. I told hubby yesterday we need more... [​IMG] and he was like [​IMG]

I'm working on it lol. My suggestion would be to leave all your money home or get one and toss it in and then act like you have no idea where it came from or what he is talking about because its always been there [​IMG]

Good luck!

7. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:I have the recommended space for 12 chickens for the coop and 11/12 chickens for the outside run. I have 8 chicks and 2 are bantams.[​IMG]. My chicken run is huge! Hubby extended it for me as my mothers day gift, so the 8 we have had extra room outside. I can not free range with the dog across the street. He catches eye on them, he will eat them all. We made the run very secure, so no animal can get in.

I wasn't planning to go back to the store unless I had roosters to bring back. Hopefully, I have all hens. I'm so attached already.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by