1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I must say my little feelings really got hurt today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LegginMF12, Jul 26, 2011.

1. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I have a roo who was supposed to be a BO but isn't has been my little buddy for months now. He always follows me, lets me hold him and pet and takes treats from my hand. He is also at the bottom of the pecking order with the other roo's. Well today i was out giving the guys and gals some treats from a big bowl. he was standing there as calm as you please the all of a sudden I felt somebody furiously attacking my left leg and foot ( I was wearing flip flops). It was my changeling! He drew blood in 2 places and left several welt on my foot and leg. Needless to say I hooked a foot under him and he got to fly today. Was going to keep him even tho he wasn't a BO just because he was so sweet. Now I m thinking it might be freezer camp. If I am going to have an aggressive rooster at least let it be a purebred and not an unknown. Must say my ittle feelings were hurt. LOL
    [​IMG][/URL]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Going after a toe sandwich! I'm hearing about this often enough to think this is a very natural young rooster thing, especially stimulated by bare feet--and especially if toes painted red. I worked through a toe pecking stage with my young roo. If you are motivated, do some reading on handling rooster aggression and give some of the techniques a try, including pushing the rooster down like he does a hen, picking up and carrying around, stalking. Worked for me. Maybe start by giving the rooster a second chance to be a good guy by wearing closed shoes and long pants, too, as toes just are too tempting and yummy, apparently.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Many times it is the very "favorite pets" that become the meanest when the hormones kick in. Disrespect.

I trust you are OK. Had to hurt.

PS- I'm not sure I'd use a really nasty rooster in a breeding program. Why pass it on.

4. LilliansMamaw

LilliansMamaw Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    I've made the mistake of going into the run with painted toenails and a toe ring.....I barely made it out with my foot [​IMG]

5. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    @Fred, I agree this wasn't a curious "is this edible peck" This was full on neck feathers fully raised I'm gonna tear you up attack. I do not want that kind of behavior bred into my flock. My BO roos will kinda stand sideways to me, ruffle up and stamp thier feet, but have only had one go after me. I carried him around like a football for about 40 minutes, funny he see's me coming now and he heads in another direction. LOL Just so unexpected from my laid back little changeling! If it keeps happening he will go to freezer camp.

6. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    oh that is sooo sad [​IMG] Isn't it awful when our fav's turn on us?
    How old is your roo? (Just wondering when to expect this out of my little fella - I can't remember when they start behaving this way)

7. Velvet Hairpiece

Velvet Hairpiece Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Louisville, KY
    At least he isn't a tiger, right?!

I keep expecting one of my roo's to turn on me, I'll have to remember to not wear flip flops in there again! They are always infinitely interested in my toenails and moles on my legs!

8. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    My mom always said that you shouldn't make pets out of the roosters....she swore that they were mean cause they just wanted to be picked up and had no other way to ask. So, when our rooster would get rowdy, she would reach down, pick him up, pet him for a while and set him back on the ground. At that point, he would walk off and leave everyone alone...wish my mom were alive now to enjoy my growing flock [​IMG] Wonder what she would have thought about the silkies and NNs [​IMG]

9. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Quote:I totally agree with this. My little mille fleur rooster drags both wings right up to my feet and then just stands there like, "Helllloooo, here I am!"

So of course I have to pick his cute lil behind up and carry him for a bit, he LOVES it! [​IMG]

10. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    But I have to add that the millies are naturally more sweet, all bantams are to me. I just had to give away a Light Brahma named Bentley, he was so sweet and tame when he was little, he was my pet. Then he hit puberty and would sneak up behind me, he was very bold because of his close association with me. He also loved to "jump" on the tiny bantam girls, he would stalk them into the bushes and literally rape them [​IMG]

He had to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by