I née help quick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dbc, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Dbc

Dbc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    One of eggs has popped at the wrong end of the sheep what should I do! Should I help it out!

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Oo. I didn't know sheep laid eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, don't panic :) leave it be I'm sure it will manage. I have had this happen before and chick managed fine. I also feel that helping isn't really helpful. I did it twice and both chicks died after a few weeks, I'm sure they weren't meant to hatch for a reason. Enjoy watching them hatch! Can't wait to do some more myself! It's addictive I have incubated over 50 eggs the last year :)

4. Dbc

Jun 3, 2011
    But the last time i just let him be! The thing just died! It did not make any more progress after that!

5. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I always turn up the side that the chick is hatching from. I think sometime their GPS is not up to date. [​IMG]
    Just don't rush into assisting the hatch. That will definitely kill it if it is not ready to hatch yet. Assisting a hatch is a slow process and should be stopped anytime blood is drawn.

6. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    My goodness..Idk what you should do! I do know it's dangerous to help, but it can "help" at the same time...Lets hope someone knows better and sees your post! Hang in there.

7. Dbc

Jun 3, 2011
    I have one that has almost got out of the egg! the other one is just a little peck through

8. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:That's great news!!

9. Dbc

Jun 3, 2011
    I know and today is day 23! I had to be patient and that does not come easy to me to be honest! But it will be worth it!

10. psittacinekane

psittacinekane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2009
    I'm in the same boat as you right now, so I'm no help really.

My situation is I have two Light Sussex that are actually due to hatch tomorrow (Nov 21). This morning I noticed a pip in Egg #1 and from then on...nothing. Egg#2 virtually exploded with cracks and again ... nothing. Oddly, both of these chicks are very, very quiet as well.

Anyway, I'm playing it smart this time and sitting on my hands to let nature take its course with these two. They are both pullet eggs and, of the two previous eggs I've had hatch from this hen, only one has survived. I think that the chicks break out sooner (by a day) only because they're out of air, as pullets lay much smaller eggs than fully mature hens. Once again, following the advice of a lot of people on here with far more experience than I, it makes sense that the chick just hasn't finished 'baking' yet.

Hopefully, you can be patient and have good results to reward you for that.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by