1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Name Thee CUCKOO!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Arztwolf, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Because that is what she is!

One of my Favorelles has lost her little mind. She went broody and "mothered" over thirty eggs till I took the rotting heap away from her and put down new straw in the nesting box, causing her mind to snap like a dry stick.

Now, wide eyed and molting, she runs hither and yon oblivious to the world. She survived one night outside the coop, I had to chase her back to the coop two nights in a row and then, tonight, I look out at 9:30 to see her balding butt waiting outside the coop![​IMG]

She now lives in the special needs/teenager coop with this Guinea Fowl.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Great story! Thanks for sharing!!! Hope she and the guinea get along well.

1 person likes this.
  3. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Your welcome.

The Guinea gets along with everything. He's like a giant keet that hasn't figured out what the pecking order is yet. He now lives with a BO pullet, a BSL pullet, a EE cockerel and a seven week old keet. The keet, named Cookie , follows him around, but otherwise he never interacts with any of them.

Cuckoo is over a year old and I don't think she'll have any issues with his "flock" all of whom are docile and aggressive.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by