I need 1 or 2 more girls. what are your opinions???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LindsayB, Jan 9, 2009.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Right now I have a BLRW (who is almost a year and not laying) and an EE (who lays every day). I would like to have one or two more hens that lay well and are very docile. I want everyones opinions so I can pick the right bird!

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    My vote is for Orpingtons. [​IMG]

3. miss jay's mama

miss jay's mama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    northeast PA
    Barred Rocks are a nice breed. I have three 2 hens 1 roo. The hens lay often pretty much every day. Henrietta started laying Nov 4, she has layed an egg every day since (except 2 days). Cookie lays almost every day and her eggs are huge. All three are very friendly and easy to handle.

4. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I have Rhode Island Reds and I love them! They are sweet, gentle, good with kids (with proper handling), and great layers! Though they aren't the most flashy breed, I HIGHLY recommend them.
    I am going to get more hens too, and I have heard that Barred Rocks are great.

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Black Australorp
    Welsummer

Our 2 sweetest breeds, who also happen to lay the most eggs and make the least noise.

6. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    If you like heirloom breeds, Delawares are great. Mine have a habit of pecking on my clothes sometimes, but they're really wonderful smart birds.

Golden comets lay really well, are always the first to run for a treat, and lay dark eggs.

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I have RIR , Black Australorps , barred rocks and Buff orpington's .....

You want HUGE BROWN EGGS , take your pick ..... [​IMG]

8. SunnysideupDale

SunnysideupDale Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2009
    We have two recommendations: Delaware and Wyandottes. We have a Delaware and, contrary to what I've read about them on the forums, she has turned out to be the absolute sweetest of all of our hens. She's loves attention, loves to have her feather stroked, loves to follow us around the yard, and loves to be held. We also had a Silver-laced Wyandotte who was incredibly gentle, loved to be held, and was just sweet all around. Sadly, she got sick last week and died (from what we still don't know.) Both of these hens are/were excellent egg layers, especially the Delaware who gives us an egg a day on average, even in winter!

Best of luck to you! We're going to be adding a few more hens to our coop as well once the spring chicks come!

9. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My favorite hen is my BO. She loves attention and lays almost daily. Even this time of year. She gets along fine with everyone and also lets the little kids hold her.

10. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    I really like the delawares and my husband likes barred rocks. my BLRW is very mean! We raised both the EE and her from chicks and the EE is the sweetest hen ever...but the wyandotte. Oh my goodness, she just has an attitude lol! I would love to find a new home for her before we get our new girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by