I need a bunch of stuff!!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by kwynn's birds Alaska, Aug 7, 2008.

1. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    I'm new to this sight. It is such a neat sight, and it's true, it's addicting...as I love to read everyone's posts.

I am looking to come across a list of things. First, I am trying out incubating a few eggs. so far I have coturnix quail, a couple each green and brown eggs (Breeds unknown, from a few hens that were given to me.) and some bantam eggs. But, as soon as I'm done with this hatch, I have to give the bator back. so, I'm looking for one of those. The one I am using right now is a little giant still air incubator. I kind of like this one. It's small enough to set on the table, and is noise less. It has an electric turning tray, and the temp stays regular in it. If any one has one they want to part with...I might like that.

second, I'm looking for one of "those things" that measures the temp, and humidity. I don't have one, and the thermometer I am using right now is just one of those that sticks to the fridge.

I'm looking for tid bits of info, if any one has got some. I have never done this before, and I am excited to see if me eggs hatch.

And finally, If it does work, My husband, (my southern boy) wants to try pheasant eggs. I don't really care what kind, but I like the fancy ones, with the long flashy, pretty tails.

hopefully, I get some responses, and some reasonably priced offers...i know, life aint cheap...

Thanks!

2. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG]

Although I don't have anything to offer you- I know that the LG Still Air incubators are not expensive to buy new- under $50. That doesn't include the turner, however. The thermometer/ hygrometers are also fairly cheap and can be found at WalMart. I see you're from Alaska, so your shopping choices are probably limited.
    Check out the learning pages here on the website-- there are lots of links for suppliers- you may find something within your price range, or at least an idea of what's "out there" for you to get now, or in the future.
    Best of luck, and be warned-- it's an addicting thing to get into!

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    second, I'm looking for one of "those things" that measures the temp, and humidity. I don't have one, and the thermometer I am using right now is just one of those that sticks to the fridge.

You can get the hygrometer/thermometer combos at walmart or lowes or TSC for less than $10...

WELCOME and good luck with your eggs!​

4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Hi K! I was hoping to find you here soon. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] LOL! I TOLD you it was addicting!!

I've purchased most of my thermometers/hygrometers online, but if you make a trip up to Anchorage I'm sure you'd find some up there. [​IMG]
    Have you found anyone with pheasant eggs yet?
    [​IMG]

5. kwynn's birds Alaska

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    Gosh, you guys are great. Not even five minutes, and I had three replies. thanks for your help, and I'm always on the look out for more tips and tricks.

Thanks fellow Bird People!

[​IMG]

6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I'd get a hygrometer/thermometer from a cigar store. I've had nothing but headaches from the cheapers ones. It's true that you can get cheap accurate ones, but it will probably be one in 10 of the same brand and model that's accurate.

I like the Hovabator 1588 it's a forced air incuabator, but you don't have to mess with the setting the temp, it's already done for you. Less stuff to frustrate you and it's the same size as the still air.

By the way, incubating is also very addictive. I've had a terrible twitch since my last hatch. GOTTA HATCH MORE EGGS [​IMG] My husband keeps me heavily sedated so I can remember that I have no place to put more chickens. [​IMG]

7. GPN

GPN Got Pheasants? Nessia

Aug 6, 2008
    Snead, Alabama
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Hi K! I was hoping to find you here soon. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] LOL! I TOLD you it was addicting!!

I've purchased most of my thermometers/hygrometers online, but if you make a trip up to Anchorage I'm sure you'd find some up there. [​IMG]
    Have you found anyone with pheasant eggs yet?
    [​IMG]

New to pheasants myself but I understand that pheasants lay between Mid-Feb through Mid- July and the mid july's should already be in the bator and about ready to pop open!Hope it goes well for you!​

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm looking for pheasants, too... [​IMG] I may be out of luck for this season.

9. kwynn's birds Alaska

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    Bummer, I saw it's too late for pheasant.

oh well, if they start laying in feb, that will give me more time practicing hatching my others. Maybe this coming spring. My B/SIL said they were in no hurry to get their bator back, so I figured I'd try more quail eggs, and give them some chickys. My nephew really liked them...("The tiny chickens you got out there...") he says.[​IMG]

10. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Hi, Just FYI I keep hearing that theirs a guy down in Kasilof that has a bunch of pheasant. It might be to late for eggs but maybe you could get a couple of adults. You could try putting an add out on Tradio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by