1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need a career change

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by fargosmom, Nov 5, 2009.

1. fargosmom

fargosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    and I'm looking for insight. If anyone on the forum has any experience with library science, and the jobs available, I'd love to hear. I'm looking into a Master's in Library Science program, but I'd like more info than what the promotional sites offer. Thanks!

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    It's a good field to get into because depending on how you focus your studies and licensure you can work in any elementary through secondary and on up to university level. You can also work in city libraries and research libraries. It isn't as easy as a lot of people think it is because most libraries have gone hi-tech and not many even have card files anymore. If you enjoy working with kids of all ages or adults you would probably enjoy it very much.

3. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    My sister and one of my best friends both have that degree and seem to enjoy it. My sister specializes in some sort of electronic.. something, and my friend does something with archiving

I still don't quite understand [​IMG]

4. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Not sure whether or not I want to work with kids . . . never really thought about that. I'm not generally a kid kind of person, and have none of my own - but under the right circumstances that might actually not be too bad. I'd been thinking more about university or museum jobs. Tech doesn't scare me. Mainly I get the feeling that I need to know WHAT I want to do before I start the program, so I can tailor the studies to fit my goals . . . but I really don't know what I want. I only know that I don't want another 20 years of retail. It would be nice to know what a day-in-the-life is like for people with jobs in this field . . .

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    MY sister works for the State of Arizona as a digital archivist. Now. She has a big IT background, also now ex military, very interesting stories there. Anyways, one of the many things she does is travel all over helping small communities save their important files, documents, etc. She occasionally asks us to find things like a working 5 inch floppy drive, old tape drives, etc., so some place can access their Very Critical Files to save them to a more current format. Lots of politicing amoungst the state departments trying to deal with no money. She really has to be good with people, with all the public and political dealings. I am in awe; her public speaking skills are great. Maybe it helps that in the back of her mind she can visualize all the different ways she can take that person out... and I said that before she went to Afganistan. If you have a very good set of people skills, the Library Sciences are good. Look into grant work too.

6. fargosmom

Dec 27, 2008
    Pasadena, CA
    Oh . . . my. What if I'm trying to get away from politics and people? [​IMG]
    Kinda joking but I'm not good at politics as I'm a little too honest and straightforward. I tend to speak first and think after.
    BUT I do have an affinity for helping people and I think I'm a pretty good teacher. And my background is in photography, and I spend a lot of time counseling our clients on how to preserve their own photo archives . . .

7. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    Children are much easier to deal with - it's grown ups I often want to throttle.

8. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    The librarian at one of the elementary schools where I teach says she knows she has the best job. (Of course, we both say this to each other. I think we both have the best jobs! It's hard to beat being a music teacher!) She gets to read awesome books to the kids, and send them home with something they're going to want to take under the covers and read with a flashlight!

9. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:Did you ever try reading What Color Is My Parachute or one of the other "find the right career for you" books?

If you're going to make a career change might as well put a lot of research into it so you get somewhere you want to be.

10. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    What about something in Distance Education?

Seems to be a lot of good and up-coming opportunities.

I know they have Master's and also post-baccalaureate certificates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by