I need a chicken detective

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sewingca, Jul 25, 2010.

1. sewingca

sewingca Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Two of my girls are broody, Sunny and Shimmer. Shimmer is a little banty and I don't want more, so I placed a Wyandotte egg under her marked with today's date. That was about 2:00. At 4:00 or so, I noticed the girls had switched nests, so I checked under Sunny for the egg to return to Shimmer. It wasn't there. I checked under Shimmer. It wasn't there. I removed both girls and couldn't find any evidence of any eggs. I checked in my refrigerator (in case I was losing my mind) and no, it wasn't there. The gate in the picture is open during the day and the entire wooded area is chicken wire fenced. The wire is also buried. Do raccoons steal eggs in the daytime? Can a snake get up in the chicken door? No one else collected eggs today and I have noticed that I don't always get as many as I think I should. Any other thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. shellz131

shellz131 Sams Memory Lane

Jun 28, 2010
    Malone Ny
    I took it! [​IMG] I do not know..It is a mystery isn't it?

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Rat or snake?

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hen that is an stealth egg eater??

5. sewingca

sewingca Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Well, rat is a thought. There's no evidence of shell, so it had to be carried off or swallowed by a snake on the spot. If one of the girls rolled it off, she'd have a long haul to get to the fence. Maybe I should set up a survelience camera. Our neighbors, who are hunters, have one for night-time. But, gee whiz, this was in the middle of the day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by