I need a Coop for 20 Hens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Bleenie, May 7, 2011.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I need to build a new coop for my 20 hens(plus 1 roo). They all free range everyday, as much as possible and go back to the coop at night or if there's rain.

I will have SOME help building it, but not a whole lot so I am hoping to find a good plan or idea that won't be too hard for me to work on myself most the time. Simple & functional is best, it'll just be for laying, eating & sleeping. I already know what kind of nest boxes I am going to use, they have been taking over the duck boxes so they'll get some just like theirs.

Thanks everyone.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If I were doing it over again, I would used old pallets that companies try to get rid of.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I LOVE my shed coop.

So easy to maintain.

4. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I would read the book Open Air Poultry..it is 100 years old and you can find the free ebook thru google. We are in Tucson..I needed simple, well ventilated, cost effective and easy. The open air poultry house is basically a 3 sided coop with a full front or partial front just hardware cloth. We have decided to do the back half of the coop solid, and the front sides of the coop wire as well. This way more birds can be in a smaller enclosure and they have space to get out of the rain / wind if they choose, but they will not be "cooped" We will also be raising our coop so there is the bottom level...here is a basic idea on craigslist..we are modifying this concept. Wire is much cheaper than wood.

http://tucson.craigslist.org/grd/2365134336.html

As another poster said...you can also find a used shed, and put a dog run on the front..lots of air, but safety as well, super easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by