1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I need a coop for 5 chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bonescrub, Jan 17, 2009.

1. bonescrub

bonescrub In the Brooder

May 1, 2008
    South east texas
    I am looking for a coop to house 5 chickens that I can purchase. One that can allow for ease of egg collection.
    I have seen many plans to build them. Its not that i cant build them its just that i have so many projects to do around my house that It wont ever get done.
    I am looking for some sort of kit that can be ordered or something Pre fab'd.
    My pvc/chicken wire tractor ( that some one gave me)is getting run down and doesnt allow for easy egg collection.

A chicken tractor would be preferred. I have seen some A frames just not sure they are big enuff.
    thanks

chris

2. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Where are you located in South East Texas ? we are neighbors LOL South Louisiana

3. bonescrub

bonescrub In the Brooder

May 1, 2008
    South east texas
    about 15 minutes from beaumont city called Port neches
    about 2-3 hours from lafayette

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Beaumont is 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours from Lafayette , depending on the traffic OR who is driving . LOL

Nice meeting you [​IMG]

5. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Songster

May 1, 2008
    I would be concerned that a tractor would not be secure enough. Think about preditors.
    Also, if you become chicken crazy (like the rest of us), you will need a proper, medium sized coop. [​IMG] Perhaps you could get a shed...?

6. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    We have many ideas on BYC for designs . Also , you could do a search on Craig's list and maybe find what you might like for sale or perhaps to be given away free .

I totally agree , you will most likely become as addicted [​IMG] as we all have and end up enlarging again. Happened to us . We started off with 1 hen , within 2 weeks we had 30 baby chicks and 6 more laying hens ... We now have close to 100 , which means we had to build a 2nd. coop and a 3rd. run .

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  7. bonescrub

bonescrub In the Brooder

May 1, 2008
    South east texas
    not opposed to a bigger coop just looking for something that i can order as a kit. something that wont take a huge amount of time to put together.

i doubt i will have more chickens than the 5 that i have. I probably have too many as it is. When i move to a new home 5 years down the road that will be a different story.

8. bonescrub

bonescrub In the Brooder

May 1, 2008
    South east texas
    after looking around on the internet I probably will just have to build one on my own and just make time some how.

based on ya'lls experiences what do ya'll recommend?

chris

9. bonescrub

bonescrub In the Brooder

May 1, 2008
    South east texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: