I need a creative idea.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coop-er, Feb 16, 2014.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    I have 10 chicks that are 4 weeks old and growing FAST!!! They are currently occupying 2 cages in my home office and I need them out of there. With the brutal weather, they won't be able to go outside for quite some time. I will be moving them to my garage as soon as I can. I need an idea for housing them until they can go to my coop with my 7 others. What does everyone else do at this point? Do I need to build a temporary pen for them or am I missing an obvious solution? The cages are now too small and by using the cages I am separating them into 2 groups and I really don't want to continue doing that. Thank you for your help chicken people!

2. nurschic

nurschic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    The cages…… are they dog kennels?? And do they have a door on the front and the side??

My chicks are in my basement, tucked away, safe and sound. I visit them often so that they dont get lonely.

3. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    Yes. They have doors, they are the metal cage-type, not the plastic kennels. They are just too small.

4. nurschic

nurschic Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2014
    Can you face the doors on the fronts facing one another with a decent gap inbetween and use chicken wire or hardware wire to make the walls between the kennels???? This would give them more room to run and get them together. Use a plastic storage box for the floor of the gap inbetween the kennels.

5. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    Yes! That would work! That way I could expand it as needed.Thanks...I knew someone on here could help me!

6. Melinda48

Melinda48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    Columbia, MO
    We built a temporary playpen using plywood. Made a 2x2 frame and just attached the ply - cut it to 2' high. Worked great! We dismantled it when we put the girls outside and will reused it when we get chicks again. It was 4x4".

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Cardboard boxes. You can usually fine large ones from appliances and they work great. You can put two together, side by side, and cut a door through the middle, that way chicks can get away from each other and cut down on any behaviors. A good layer of shavings in the bottom always kept mine clean and smelling nice, add more as needed. When you're done, the cardboard can be recycled, burnt or composted. Easy peasy.

8. jshreck

jshreck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    We built our coop from scratch last year and that process took a little longer than I anticipated; needless to say they were quickly growing up in my laundry room. When they got too big for the dog crate I added a cardboard box to the end of it, cut off the top and one side and zip tied it to the crate; you could probably do multiple large boxes depending on how big you need it. We had some screen laying around that we clipped to the top with clothespins to stop them from free ranging.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by