I need a disagreement settled.....about watering your grass.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by arabianequine, Jul 16, 2010.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    So I think we should water are grass in the evenings after the sun is on the other side of are yard and going down.....I think it bleaches the grass.

My husband says no thats not true it needs more water and wants water on it all day for a while and he googled it too and he says more people say what he is saying.

So what do you think or know?

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    When we lived in very dry states we were only allowed to water in the evenings so the water would be absorbed by the ground rather than evaporate.

Bleaches the grass? Never heard of that.

I always water my gardens in the evenings for that same reason, the water stays rather than goes.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    What is best is fewer, deeper waterings--once a week for 3-5 inches is far better than 3 times a week for 1-2 inches. If you water during the day (sprinklers), a fair portion of the water will evaporate and not benefit the grass at all. If you water during the evening in a damp climate you could be promoting fungal growth. If you water early in the day (set start time so that you finish about dawn), you will get the best of both and avoid the worst of both: the roots are nicely saturated for the heated portion of the day, but there has not been time for fungal growth to start (if it is an issue where you live).

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

I know in my city that watering is banned during the day... is it 10-6? Something like that. Used to that only happened in severe droughts, but now it's a year round thing.

Been a while since I looked into it, but doesn't a good portion of the water get evaporated if it's on there during the hottest part of the day... whereas if you wait until the cooler part then more of the water will actually be absorbed by the grass?

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Sonoran is correct. If you decide to water do so early in the day, water deeply and not every day.

6. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    in the morning before it gets too hot

7. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

If you don't water the grass, you don't have to mow. That's my take on the matter [​IMG]

8. akaxo

akaxo Chillin' With My Peeps

yeah watering is best in the early morning or evening as already said because during the day water is lost to evaporation so it is inefficient which is a worry if you're somewhere where there's a water shortage. water on leaves in full sun can burn them as the water droplets can act like a lens to focus the sunlight on the leaf (think burning things with a magnifying glass). grass is pretty hardy though so i think this may be more of an issue with other plants but possible i guess, not sure on that.

remind your husband that you can google anything and you'll find people agreeing or disagreeing with it online, it can be a very unreliable source of information sometimes, there's a reason we're not allowed to use it as an information source at university [​IMG] (academic sites and BYC are obvious exceptions to that of course) [​IMG].

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I live where there is extreme heat, and watering during the day DOES bleach the grass, or burn it rather. When it is 106 outside in a very dry climate, the water heats up and "burns" the grass leaving it more light tan that just brown. So, we water when the sun goes down in the spring and summer. We don't water at all in the winter.

10. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    don't you get dew in the morning? If you do, that's all the water that your grass needs. If you don't get dew, water it just once a week, for several hours. the more water it gets the more it grows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by