1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Need a Good Anti-Virus Now

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by vfem, Oct 15, 2011.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I apparently got a virus and its infected my anti-virus software. I need a free anti-virus I can download and set up now. This virus is attacking my AVG so I haven't been able to update or use it. Its constantly under attack and I can't fix it. Its through out all those files now.

Help would be great! [​IMG]

2. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    I have been looking at anti-virus sites most have a free 30 trail download. Have used Webroot in the past

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Try Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. I found it very useful.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
  6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Quote:I use this one too. So far it's been the best and easiest to use. As far as I can tell it keeps it self updated, and I don't know of any other AV's that will do that if you are using the free version. The Malwarebytes' was recommended by a computer repair tech.

7. islpet

islpet Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2011
    Avast is what I use and it updates every day.

8. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Well, for now I've been using individual programs I've found... most of them only find and repair, or delete the problem it was created for. Turns out I got a lot of problems! LOL

Worst off, I'm a computer girl by trade. What got me in trouble was one virus was a rerouting virus which doesn't allow you to do browser searches. So I was unable to find direct links to anti-virus software. So what I needed here were actual links to the pages to click on, I can't search them out myself.

I've managed to remove several root kits so far, and physically removed one virus... but I still need some kind of protection to be aware for me until I can figure out how and where it got it. I'm trying to reset the DNS for my internet connection and try to stop it from returning.

Its cold, I'm tired... but I tredge on at 2:45 in the morning! ARGH!

Thanks guys... more direct links to the download pages would be GREAT!

9. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Here try this one from microsoft. It's free and it removed a particularly nasty one from my computer that was blocking everything from working, then kept re-installing itself when I finally got past that problem. It even kept me from re-starting the computer and it still ran in safe-mode!

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/Default.aspx

10. vfem

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ok I downloaded and am running the MSE now. I also ran a couple others that are like 'kill' boxes for certain ones that keep me from using ANY anti-virus. So far, so good... I'm just dead tired at almost 4am.

Luckily, we have gotten around and got rid of the root kit that was doing the redirect, so I'm free to search the web for the information I needed. I had to do some manual removals.

All I can say, is thank goodness for that $10k education in internet technology I got but never used. Some of what I learned actually came back to me tonight!!! LMAO

Thank you all! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by