1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need a grammar god(ess) please

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dar, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I checked the mail last night and there was a letter from a young man who helped our family in 2008/9 when my mother in law passed. The letter was a request for confirmation that he indeed helped the family at no cost.

I will explain a little better...

In Ontario our high school students need to have 40 volunteer hours in order to graduate on top of all of the regular credits. Mike has all his credits but is missing his hours.. but really he did them.. while my MIL was fighting cancer he would go to her house weekly and make sure the household garbage was taken to the curb because she could not do it her self and her nurses were not there early enough in the morning to make sure the garbage got out before the truck came by. when the snow started he would make sure the snow was cleared so that her nurses could have safe access to the house. .. when my MIL passed and while we were figuring out the legal stuff he continued to clear the snow... and when we had the house up for sale he would cut the grass front and back.. clear flyers and the free local newspapers

all this time we offered to pay him.. sent cheques to him he left them on moms counter.. i sent payment addressed to his mom for her to put away and buy something nice... they were returned.. his family lives a few houses down from where my mil did.. she has watched him grow up she was like a second grandmother to him so they were close...

So now he is asking for help and I want to help him... he got side tracked with his education and had to leave school for a year and then went back as an adult student...

I need to write a letter to confirm he did work these hours but my grammar sucks and so does my sentence structure... I dont want the school to think that he forged this letter and give him a hassle about it..

is anyone willing to help?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Your grammar sounds fine to me. How can I help?

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I would be happy to look it over for you. [​IMG]

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think you need to write it yourself doing the best you can. In my opinion, something sincere from you will do the job quite well. If they have any questions as to its authenticity, give your address and phone number.

As you can see, people are willing to help clean it up, but you need to write it.

5. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    Your grammar and writing skills are perfectly fine to do what you need to do.

6. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I'll agree that you need to write the actual letter itself, as you
    know the details of the who, what, when, where and why this
    young man assisted your mother in law.

Beyond that, I would be more than happy to take a look at it
    for you.

Spook

7. RtSixtySixChix

RtSixtySixChix Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Westmoreland County, PA
    What's nice about writing....you can write a draft, then read it out loud, the rewrite, the read again....Sometimes, I do this several times, even waiting until morning to check it again before sending. Your written grammar seems very good. God bless you and your gracious friend.

Theresa

1 English Game Bantum Roo, 3 Barred Rock(1 hen, 2 Roos), 1 Rhode Island White Hen, 4 Hens I think are New Hampshire Reds(they were here on the farm before I was [​IMG]

8. country lady

country lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Tennessee
    Gosh, my immediate thought was , "what a great young man." It would be a pleasure to write a letter for him. I agree with the others; it is what comes from your heart that is important in the letter. It appears he and his family are wonderful neighbors and human beings.

9. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    ok hows this?.. note i have XXX'ed out his last name.

To whom it may concern;
    I am writing this letter today in regards to the 40 hours of volunteer service that is mandatory for the secondary students to have in order to graduate.

In the fall of 2008 and the spring 2009 my mother in law was terminally ill with cancer.

During this time Michael XXXXXX helped maintain my mother in laws independence by making sure the garbage made its way to the curb on garbage day.

As fall turned to winter Michael also shoveled the driveway and walk way so the home care nurses could make their daily visits.

In the spring when my mother in law passed, Michael continued to help out by cutting the grass while the house was up for sale.

During this time Michael never accepted any form of payment for his service. Although I can’t say for certain how many hours he actually did because we never kept track I can assure he well exceeded the 40 hours that is required.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me at the number below.
    Thank you

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  10. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:he is a great young man...

as my youngest BIL was getting ready to move out the family bought the house a few houses down... he was about 5 at the time and was amazed at the reptiles that my BIL had in the house and would catch crickets for the lizard...

when my BIL went to college and left the reptiles behind for my MIL to care for mike kinda adopted them.. my mil would give him $5 to go to the store and buy crickets... Mike had a falling out with his parents and "ran away" (to my MIL's house)

my MIL kinda became his grandmother... I think because of the fact she never judged him for his actions.. (he got into trouble with the law) and when the rest of the town called him "the bad seed" my MIL made him cookies..

hes 20 something now and went back to school and finished all the required credits and is planning on college...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by