I need a great Meatloaf recipe and a crusty bread recipe...... PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by lockedhearts, Jan 14, 2009.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    I want comfort food. I have ground beef and ground pork, anyone got a great "like mama's" meatloaf recipe?

I also wanted to try and make a crusty "french" type bread

Help Please!!!!!

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok here is mine it is one of the only recipies I have where I dont substitute everything for organic only, hence the velveta cheese, but everyone says its the best. I make it with out measuring but will try to give you accurate amounts.

2 bls of ground beef
    1/2 small block of velveta cheese diced
    8 ounce can of tomato sauce
    red or green pepper diced
    Italion bread crumbs about a cup but you will have to add more possibly for the right consistancy
    1 large or 2 small eggs
    1 onion diced
    Table spoon of dried parsley
    Any extra herbs you like
    touch of onion and garlic powder
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together put in loaf pan and cook at 350 until it pulls away from sides of pan and is bubbly.

3. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Ever since I first tried it, I have been in love with the very simple rustic bread recipe from Jim Lahey (courtesy of Mark Bittman in the NYT). It takes a while, yes, but nothing could be simpler. About 5 minutes of actual "work," and the rest of the time you're just letting the yeast do the work for you. No kneading or anything, and it's perfect every time.

Here are my notes and some additional links .

4. Brewguy

Brewguy New Egg

Jan 14, 2009
    For bread I have a great easy recipe.

This evening mix 3 cups flour, 1.5 cups water, 1/4 tsp yeast and 1+1/4tsp salt. Use your hand or a spoon to mix till all is moist, it should seem very moist. If not add a bit of water.

Let sit till tomorrow morning with some plastic wrap over it. 18 hrs is perfect.

In the morning preheat over and dutch oven to 450-500 degrees. Pull dough from bowl and lightly spread by hand. Fold each of the four sides to the middle. Flip so seam is on the bottom and dust the top with flour. Now plop into hot dutch oven with lid on. Bake for 30 minutes with lid on, remove lid and bake 10-15 minutes more. It should have some nice color at this point and remove from oven to cool.

It is very easy and tastes great. You can find some videos on youtube, look for no kneed bread by NYT.com

Good luck.

5. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Yup, that is exactly the recipe I'm describing, too! It's fab. [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am sending you the meatloaf link. It might get me in trouble.

Try gumpsgirl's white bread recipe - awesome bread.

7. Brewguy

Brewguy New Egg

Jan 14, 2009
    Quote:We must have posted at the same time.. I really enjoy it, I love making egg sandwiches in the morning. Keep the yolk not quite fully cooked, mmmmm..

8. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i make my meatloaf with ground beef or venison, a little garlic, salt, pepper, onion, worchestershire sauce, and some chopped green pepper, an egg and bread crumbs. Top with a mix of ketchup, mustard (just a tad) little worchestershire sauce and brown sugar in the last 1/2 of cooking. 350* for maybe 35 minutes or till firm. My kids love it.

9. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:I don't know what's in a meatloaf recipe that can GET YOU IN TROUBLE, but, umm... I think I NEED IT!!!! Please?

[​IMG]

10. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I just did meatloaf tonight so here is a basic that can be changed to suit the mood.

2lbs ground meat (whatever type you choose)
    2 eggs
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 onion chopped
    whostershire sauce
    4 slices of bread
    basil and oregano to you tase ( i just shake it in)
    salt
    sweet green bell peper (optioanl)

Now for add in that can be many some of my favs are:

chilli powder
    corn
    rice instead of bread or a pkg of crackers
    red hot pepper
    catsup
    red kidney beans (I like to make a chilli or mexican meatloaf)
    Anything you like and want to try.

Enjoy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by