I need a new cage solution for my parakeet

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by lovetopaint, Oct 23, 2014.

1. lovetopaint

lovetopaint Chillin' With My Peeps

I am the proud owner of a single parakeet. I want him to have a larger cage so he can stretch his wings a bit, and maybe eventually get him a friend.
    I am not exactly experienced, so I am hoping that someone would be nice enough to help me on this--
    First: What CHEAP material do you recommend for a cage? I was thinking part plexiglass (with LOTS and LOTS of holes drilled in it so he can climb/breathe and so that I can attach perches easily) and part untreated wood? I also have a metal grille that came with his old cage that I would use for the door. I don't want it to be much taller than two feet, because then he'll waste the bottom part of his aviary, but I do want to be pretty wide/long.

Does anyone have any pictures of their DIY aviaries or recommendations they could share? I want him to be happy, and yet don't want to spend more than $50. [​IMG]

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate it!

2. Rosa moschata

Rosa moschata Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    I don't recommend plexiglass as a cage material for budgies -- even with holes drilled, it won't be nearly as easy for your budgie to climb as wire. Also, don't use any wood to build the frame -- you'll never be able to get it as clean as something which is non-porous. I've made simple large cages myself using welded wire mesh, but I am not sure if you can do it for under $50. It might be a better idea to simply save a little longer and buy a flight cage, which you can find for about $100 - $200 brand new.

:)

3. lovetopaint

Thank you! I did consider welded wire mesh, but after reading so much about zinc poisoning, I was worried that it would be hard to find that type of wire.

4. Rosa moschata

Mar 20, 2013
    You can find coated wire, but again, the materials will probably bring the total cost to over $50 to make the cage. Google "pvc coated wire mesh" to find where you can buy it.

:)

5. lovetopaint

That looks perfect, thank you!

However....I found some shelving that is not coated with a poisonous material that miiiiiight work instead as it is cheaper. I finally found some with 1/2 inch bars. If you search 48 X 16" TightMeshâ„¢ Shelf at menards, it should come up. If anyone would be so nice as to tell me if that is a totally dumb idea or not, I would be so grateful!
    But now comes the flooring problem.
    I initially wanted a dirt floor with large pebbles on top. That way I could have some nontoxic plants inside for my parakeet to play on. He'd love that! However, I am worried about mites/bugs/whatever is in dirt. Is that a concern? This is a 100% indoor aviary, by the way.
    But would a large piece of cardboard over whatever flooring I use work better? Or even a bunch of newspaper? I could still put potted plants in there, right?

Any opinions?
    Thanks [​IMG]

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    I would advoid any plexiglass as it can grow bacteria. Or so ive heard my cages are made from cage wire I got from tractor supplys and zip ties. Been working for almost two years. Cost about 20 for a roll that make an avairy big enough for my 14 birds i made two the other is for mice. :)I used both for birds but now ones for mice. :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  7. Rosa moschata

Mar 20, 2013
    Please tell me you bring them inside for Winter.....

8. lovetopaint

Thank you both for your help. I found a solution and both the cage and stand combined were under $35!! I could not be more happy. It is 4 feet long, 2 feet wide and 20 inches tall. My parakeet LOVES it so much!
    I did end up using the metal shelving--SUPER easy to work with. I definitely would do it again. It probably took about an hour and a half to two hours to build.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by