I need a pheasant expert!!

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by patyrdz, Apr 28, 2009.

1. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    I have my little silver pheasant chick, and i was wondering if I can mix turkey starter and chick starter for it, or do I have to buy game bird feed? Here is what I have on hand...flight developer...Turkey starter...unmedicated and medicated chick feed.
    Please help, I don't want to kill it! Thanks:)

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I feed mine gamebird starter crumbles unmedicated.And once a week I give them a dose of vitamins and electrolytes in their drinking water.
    I think it would be best to buy them gamebird crumbles.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    A turkey starter of 28% would be fine for younger gamebirds. How old is it? you could also feed it a 24% meat-bird starter which is what I use. So, do not buy anything because I think your turkey starter should be fine. [​IMG]

4. turkey crazy

turkey crazy New Egg

Mar 16, 2009
    i bought turkey quail feed at tractor supply aty 24 % unmedicated say on the bag

5. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
  6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Agree the turkey starter will be great.

7. foxonfire

foxonfire Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have another question for those who are pheasant experts...

I had a RN pheasant chick who unfortunately just died. It seemed like his beak was rotting off. It was the only pheasant chick who hatched, so I was keeping him with my quail chicks. What went wrong- why would his beak rot off? The problem place was where his beak met his face where his nostrils should be.

Should I have not kept him with the other chicks? He was doing fine, until last week and I didn't see any picking or bullying. I keep everybody on pine shavings too, should I do wire for the pheasants?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

8. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Quote:Agree the turkey starter will be great.

Thank you!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by