I need a pro for this one

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cmarlowdrive, Mar 20, 2017.

1. cmarlowdrive

cmarlowdrive Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2016
    After a year of no eggs with 10 girls, I found a layer feed that was 22%. Feed store guaranteed egg laying with this feed. I am also added layer mash.

Could this be causing havoc in the reproductive system? Is it too much? After 3 months I am having egg yolk peritonitis and egg binding issues.

Lost one already and have another one in solitary. Very concerned. I have read that some birds just have it, like it is hereditary.

Thanks for thoughts.

2. What were you feeding them before?

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How old are your hens and what breeds are they?
    What did you feed them from hatch?
    22% is much too much protein for laying hens but it also depends on the amino acid makeup of that crude protein.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So sorry! As far as feed is concerned, a bird who's not laying eggs will do better with an all-flock feed, with it's lower calcium levels, and higher protein. Oyster shell on the side is available for any birds starting to produce eggs, without having too much in the diet for non-layers. Then, the age and breed types of your flock matters, as well as their stress levels, and could there be hidden nests out there? Then, many hens do succumb to reproductive issues, as you've seen. Have you had necropsies done? Some diseases cause decreased egg production too. Ten out of ten is a big number, so sorry. Do you have egg stealers there? Do you know for sure that your birds aren't in lay? Mary

5. cmarlowdrive

Mar 29, 2016
    Thank you Mary. My girls waited until they were almost a year old to start laying, and that was only after I started them on the 22% super layer feed and Mash. I was just worried that the feed and mash was too much for the girls. I can't take it when they hurt or die. Like all chicken parents, I want my girls to be happy and comfortable and definitely don't want to be the one causing the problems. No necropsies done.

6. cmarlowdrive

Mar 29, 2016
    I tried several different layer feeds, in addition to fruits, veg, flowers, worms, crickets, etc. They did not lay until I introduced Super Layer.

7. cmarlowdrive

Mar 29, 2016
    I fed them starter feed when they were chicks and then grower feed and then all sorts of layer feed. My girls are 1 year and 3 months now.
    My easter egger has not layed an egg in 8 days. I think she is egg bound, but, I don't feel an egg. She is in the house away from the other girls.
    I have a mixture of chickens. cochin, brahma, orpingtons, Sussex, marans, polish, sex link, etc.

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    With the exception of the orps, Sussex and sex link, none of those are particularly productive breeds.
    Since they hatched about the first of the year, they came into point of lay around the summer solstice. If there was anything in their management that slowed their sexual maturity and they got into the declining day length days before they were mature, they could possibly wait till days got longer to start.
    I think that when one has unexplained situations with their entire flock of multiple breeds, it is best to go back to basics. Feed nothing but a fresh chicken feed. Cut out all treats that are interfering with the optimal nutrition that feed provides.
    Since they aren't laying, I would make that a grower or all flock feed. Birds not building egg shells shouldn't be eating a feed that is 4% calcium. Especially as long as yours have been non-productive.
    If a bird were egg bound for 8 days, they would probably be dead by now.
    What state are you in? I can give you the contact information for your state poultry lab for necropsy and lab work so you can finally get to the bottom of your problem.
    Clearly, there is something serious going on.

9. cmarlowdrive

Mar 29, 2016
    OK, thanks. Makes sense. I will try advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by