I need a pug (Or Boston)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by L&Schickens, Dec 6, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Well, our family is dogless once again. My son Loren who is 5 really really wants a pug, but would settle for a Boston because they might shead less. I don't know. Either way, he likes both breed, but we don't know a lot about either. I don't even know where I would look for one. Do Bostons really shead less then pug? What breed would work out better as a "Farm Dog"?

2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Pugs shed 366 day a year! I had a fawn one (RIP Lucy) and I could not believe how much she shed.

Pugs, especially young ones, are high energy little dogs who think they're big dogs. Bostons are too. If you're looking for a little lap dog, or a small dog that doesn't require a lot of attention in order to get rid of all that energy, then you may want to research other breeds. On the other hand, both Pugs and Bostons are normally very sweet.

Farm dogs that come to mind would be Australian Sheepdogs, Border Collies, etc. but they're medium to large sized.

You might want to look at something like a West Highland White (Westie). They're supposed to be really good little dogs that don't shed much. My sister-in-law, who was not a dog person, finally gave in to her boys about getting a small inside dog. After researching the breed for their family they got a Westie, and my sister-in-law TOTALLY fell in love with him. More info... http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/westhighland.htm

Best
    wishes!

3. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Not looking for a total lap dog and high energy is fine. We had a mini-aussie (RIP [​IMG]) who was a little too high energy for us. So some where in between a total spaz and a quiet dog would be good.
    I think we will look into the Bostons more. I use to own a groom shop and if there was a dog that was going to bite me it was the Westies, Scotties and the Lasas. So I would rather not have a Westie, but I do like them!

4. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    L&Schickens :

I think we will look into the Bostons more. I use to own a groom shop and if there was a dog that was going to bite me it was the Westies, Scotties and the Lasas. So I would rather not have a Westie, but I do like them!

Boston Terriers are extremely high energy and solid as a ROCK! Imagine a Boxer, who's been shrunk, then given a pot of coffee.

Have you considered Dachsunds? They were originally bred to be farm dogs. They were meant to hunt out badgers and the like. They aren't quite as high energy as a Boston, and if you get the short hair version, you won't have much maintenance.​

5. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    On the dog breed info site it said Bostons could be quiet in the house. Out side high energy is fine, but if the dog can't mellow out, then I would rather pass. My mini Aussie could not mellow out unless he was asleep. [​IMG]

6. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    My mom breeds both of those. I would go with a Boston if it's going to be outside more. Pugs have smooshed noses and sometimes don't deal with heat well. Breathing is harder. Pugs are cuter though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  7. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    L&Schickens :

Not looking for a total lap dog and high energy is fine. So some where in between a total spaz and a quiet dog would be good.

Get a labrador rottweiler mix. Rotties are couch potatoes and labradors are chaos. Mine is a hyper lazy dog that likes to snore on my couch. [​IMG]

Good luck choosing!​

8. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    We want to go with a small do that we can take with us if we fly somewhere. (Not like we can afford to fly any mone though,)

9. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    My 9 year old pug is anything but a farm dog. More like a round cat. Pays no attention to the chickens, ducks or any other livestock that comes her way. More interested in getting into the coop to raid the dish. Cannot tolerate hot weather AT ALL. Out for a quick pee and sniff around the yard on hot summer days and that's it. Both breeds prone to a variety of issues. Best check into that. My pug ( and many like her) required eye surgery to the tune of $1500. Dumb as a post and as stubborn as a mule. Not a ball chaser. No tricks to speak of. Not a chewer. Quiet in the house. Sheds a bit. But you CANNOT have a blue day with a pug in your house. I would have another in an instant.

10. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    L&Schickens :

We want to go with a small do that we can take with us if we fly somewhere. (Not like we can afford to fly any mone though,)

Get a hamster then. Every small dog we've ever owned or known was nasty. Pomeranians are the worst!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by