I need a refresher course....gonna set up incubator for some peking duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arabianequine, Jan 28, 2012.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    What temp should it be set at and any other pertinent info would be appreciated?

Thank you!

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    99.5 degrees

28 days

Humidity 50%-60% first 25 days

Humidity 75%-80% last 3 days

Candle eggs after 7 days, and again at 21-25 days.

Most of all, try to set it and forget it, meaning leave them alone.

Others recommend cooling and spraying the eggs with water, we do not.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i just got my first pekin duck today! number to is on its way. i did everything the post above said however i did mist my eggs every other day[​IMG]

4. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    Oh congratulations!

5. Fabidon

Fabidon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    [​IMG]I have 19 Pekin and Rouen duck eggs in a borrowed incubator and I have a few questions:

1- What is the reason for increasing the humidity for the final hatching days? How would that happen with eggs hatched by the mothers?

2- What are the best things to feed newly hatched ducklings?

We bought the two Pekins* we now have from Tractor Supply when they were about a week old and they were already on the standard feed. I saw a video of a woman feeding a new hatchling smashed strawberries but there was no mention of when to start adding standard duck food.

I want to give these babies the best start possible; our two Pekin boys follow us around but will not allow us to get any closer than 3' and touching them is totally out of the question.

*Meet Quigley and RuPaul (we thought he was female until he later developed the curled pin feather of a male! LOL)

6. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    The increased humodity at hatch is to help to prevent the membrane from sticking to the duckling.

In all honesty, I run the same humidity for the duration.

As far as stating them on feed, the first day is not to important, but when we move them to a brooder, we provide starter crumbles, and water.

They do fine in finding it, and away they go.

good luck

7. Fabidon

Fabidon Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    Thank you so much for that information. It is so much fun learning from you folks who have such rich experience. I will let you know how things go with the hatching.

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    My female stopped laying for now I guess...but thank you for the info. When she starts laying again this will be very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by