I need a second opinion?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tractoraholic, Aug 10, 2011.

1. tractoraholic

tractoraholic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2010
    Maine
    Hi All,

Last weekend I bought a Black Bantam Cochin from a gentleman at a chicken swap and he said she was a hen. However Im not so sure about those waddles. Ive seen pictures of black bantam cochin hens with waddles like my cochin. Is it perticular to the breed? I would like a second opinion. Also her saddle and hackle feathers seem big and round not pointy and narrow. Her comb is very pink. Shes 8-9 weeks about all I can tell ya here are some pictures.

Thanks for your time,
    Justin
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    She's all hen I believe! Very pretty! Her tail does not say roo to me.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  3. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree. [​IMG] Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here! [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. OkieKristi

OkieKristi Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    N.E. Oklahoma
    That seem's like a very red comb and wattles for a 8-9 week old. I would guess roo, but I don't have any cochins.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    If it's only 8-9 weeks old then it's a roo (big red comb and wattles for its age). Saddle feathers usually come in at around 3 months old.

6. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    pretty roo!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:x2

8. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG] You have a pretty boy there!

9. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    may be but I've had many of cochins over the years and most of them have lovely comb and wattles and a few we suspected would be boys but were hens. Those tail feathers do not look like a roo and the combs and wattles would be much more defined. The ones that she has look like many of the hens I've had.

Here is a photo of a 8wk old roo that another member had on an archived post. See how much more defined the comb is and how much bigger the wattles are. The feathers on the neck are more pointy too. I'm still certain yours is a hen. (could be wrong though) Now maybe he is just developing a little slower??? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mylittlepeeps99

mylittlepeeps99 New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    yes she is a hen im pretty sure how old is she????
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by