I need advice ASAP please...egg in nest hatched!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Country Mouse, May 8, 2009.

1. Country Mouse

Country Mouse New Egg

May 23, 2008
    My bantam hen has been sitting on an egg for about three weeks and lo and behold, the egg hatched (today, I think). It was just one egg and I never actually expected it to hatch but thought I'd let her give it a shot. She is in the rabbit hutch coop inside the chicken run with my bantam frizzle roo and noone else.
    Am I right that I should get him out of there?
    What else do I need to do? Should I leave the tiny little chick with her mother? As far as I know this hen has never raised any chicks. Should I set up an indoor brooder and take the chick away? Or should I put mother and chick indoors together? I could close them up in the hutch/coop, but shouldn't I clean it? I would like to give the chick the best chance for survival. I am in KY, temps are between 50 and 75 this time of year.
    I am a complete newbie and need step-by-step-for-dummies instructions.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Keep an eye on her and see if she protects the chick(s?). Some roos are really good with chicks.

3. Country Mouse

Country Mouse New Egg

May 23, 2008
    She is very protective of the chick, she has not left the nest and really went after me when I moved her to see what was under there. I was so shocked to see a tiny, fuzzy baby.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Sounds like she's shaping up to be a good mom. I'd leave the chick in there (esp b/c it sounds like WWIII to get it away from her!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by