I need advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FarmGirlForLife, Feb 2, 2014.

1. FarmGirlForLife

FarmGirlForLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    So I have a bit of an interesting story. I had a goose go broody beginning of January. When she had started laying eggs we had bought a gander for her and a couple other geese came with. The gander wanted nothing to do with her and she was determined to go broody, even setting on an empty nest. My mother put some chicken eggs under her as we had a surplus. Surprise surprise, some of them were fertile. Looking in today I noticed two more heads than there should have been. It looks like she is trying to take care of them, keeping them warm and everything but she accidently killed one. Do I let her keep the other one or should I take it away and raise it by itself? Any advice would be helpful, I just want to do what is best for the chick and the goose.

2. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Take it away

3. FarmGirlForLife

FarmGirlForLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    We did, trying to take a chick away from a mother goose was an experience I wish to not repeat. When we did we found that the dead one had died from a broken neck. We also found another newly hatched one. There are two more eggs under her, we will check in the morning to see if we have some more

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by