I need advice for litter material for poultry house in tropics with concrete floor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bahamabanty, Oct 28, 2015.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Our local school has an empty existing poultry house with concrete floor that they would like to use for some layers. What is usually used in this situation as floor litter. Can they use sand or beach sand?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    sand can work very well, sand needs to be scooped like a kitty litter box as opposed to something like shavings which need to be cleaned out and replaced periodically.

3. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Ok. How much sand( in inches) do you recommend. Can ordinary construction sand be used?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    2-4 inches works good, too deep and it can be hard to walk on, we top ours off as needed, any sand should work, I taped a kitty litter scoop to a handle and scoop poop daily, I like it being clean. It's a little harder if the sand is wet, but when dry it's easy. I compost the manure.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I too live in the tropics, and i use a shed as my coop. It has a concrete floor and i do not put any litter down - just sweep it out daily and twice a week give it a thorough scrubbing. My flock free ranges in the garden, so the coop is only used for roosting and laying.

CT

6. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Thank you all

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by