I need advice/help asap

chickenlady10

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
I have a young cochin cockerel who recently was not acting himself. He is under a light with a young pullet for company, he just picks at this food, doesn't eat a great amount. I have fed him extra goodies to coax him into eating. He is starting to loose the fat/meat around his breast bone. I thought at first he might have cocci and maybe a touch of a cold. But today I noticed right behind his breast bone towards his vent he is real swollen, feels like alot of fluid inside and very warm to the touch. Does anyone know what this is and what caused this? What can I do other then taking him to a vet which they might not even know. Please give me advice, I don't want to loose him, he is good show quality. Thanks for any response

Not much, just picks at food and I haven't really seen him drink. I read something about draining the fluid off and giving him lasix?

i had a hen similar prob she was all swollen i thought egg bound. i gave her a lice & mite cattle drench & now has alot more energy & is alot happier in herself & the swelling is going down. i still dont know what is actually wrong with her. i hope your boy gets better

Quote:
Not much to go on here. If he is not pooping then he may have a blockage. Needs to be drinking -- try some electrolytes and see if he will drink that or sugar water. I am going on very little experience, but these are things i would try --- maybe soak in a warm tub and message the area swollen.

i wish you and him the best, wish i could help more.

Thanks everyone for the advice thus far, I believe I am going to try the draining some of the fluid from the body cavity. He just seems so swollen and full of fluid at the bottom of his belly area. I have been reading about Ascities.

I am very new to chickens, but I had a hen who wasn't eating and so I researched impacted crop, etc etc. There's a lot of good and consistent advice here. Anyway, I gave her olive oil and ACV in her water and did a lot of massaging. Today there was a 3" by 1/4" piece of silicone rubber that must have been blocking her. She seems fine now.

Back
Top Bottom