I need advice like now please... on dusty, my broody!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ok one hatched another on the way, i moved her and the duckling and eggs... she is NOT staying in the stall. I HAD TOO move them as no heat lamp could go where she nested, do i force her to stay?? or do i accept she has abandoned the nest and take over..

Help! thanks!!

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'm assuming she's going back to where her nest was. Can you move them back until the hatch is done? If you can then once they hatched close her in to the stall and she should settle with her babies.

I moved my first one in December after they all hatched. They were enclosed so mom had to stay but it didn't appear that she wanted to leave.

If you can't move them back to original site, I guess I'd take over.

Congrats.

3. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Actually, thinking about it she did leave at first until I literally locked her in. She took the babies into a corner of the coop, not original nest site and since it was cold out, I moved her and completely enclosed her.

I built a brooder in there about 3x4' with a cover and didn't open the front for her to leave.

4. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    appreciate your help, JW!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  5. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Well good for Miss Lilly!! I'd just keep a close eye on her and make sure she stays, then make sure she is good with the babies since she wasn't officially setting.

Pics when you can.

6. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    well scratch that! .. i did what you suggested moved them back to dusty.. as lilly was unsure, and babe was shaking... omg! so far dusty is sitting now.. i think 2 eggs are duds... i moved some feed/water right by her so if the baby comes out... i am not seeing much further action...

I may loose my mind... there is no way i can leave her and this baby in this location overnight with a -17 windchill coming, i doubt she can keep warm enough.. i hope something hatches out soon and she accepts moving...

7. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    How many were under her? If she was able to incubate the eggs there (and your weather was that cold or colder) then she should be able to keep a few babies warm there at least for a few days until they grow more. If there are still eggs hatching tonight, you could leave them with her and bring any hatchlings in and return them in the morning. I think that once they've all hatched she will settle and you could move her.

I know that this winter hatching is frustrating. Mine is sitting on her little ones. I do have a heat lamp but it is just directed at the feed and water and they are only enclosed by wire crate panels but we are no where near as cold as you.

8. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Ok, 1 duckling, two eggs which i think are duds(too white) one egg pipping, one REALLY dark.. so 5? it's +6/7C in the barn... so you think i should just leave them? see normally i would, just i was worried about the cold and the inability to use a heat lamp.. i can fence this spot off mind you other ducks sit up top(she's under the shelf) but that didn't seem to bother anyone in the past?

so would i bring the lone baby in tonight and/or any others that appear by nightfall? Frustrating? oh, my goodness... i have bashed my knee, slammed two fingers in the duck barn door and am still behind in morning chores and am just sitting down to eat for the first time.. my hair will fall out next, i am sure lol [​IMG]

9. jdywntr

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I think they would be okay. I'm assuming your barn is draft free so they won't have to deal with wind. It was about 100*F under her for them to get to this point. With just a few I think they should be okay. Mine had 13 when it was really cold here so I knew she wouldn't be able to cover them all after they were a few days old. With 3-5 they should be able to tuck under even just her wings for a while.

I'd only be a bit concerned in a day or two when they will get up to eat. But by then you can try to move her and see if she'll stay where you can keep the temp up. 2 of mine followed older ducklings out the other day in the rain and about 30F temp. I don't think they were out for long but they were okay for that short time.

10. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada

I believe it is? I am +1c with a windchill of -3c the barn is +8? I just checked lol babe is tucked right under her no shells yet so no progress on the others. -9c with a windchill of -17c is the overnight but as you said perhaps for a night it would be ok?

Ours temps were so good too, + even at night till last night, wouldn't you know it. I guess I will attempt a move tomorrow by then she is going to have little choice the babies will be active then.

I hope she gets another, there is nowhere here i could steal babies from to give it extra.. I don't even have another broody due. Feed supplies here won't have babies for at least another week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by