I need advice on different ages in chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pkw, May 19, 2010.

1. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Okay everyone first let me say that I am NOT planning on doing what I am about to ask anytime soon!!!!!!!!!!

I am only asking for future references and maybe someone else might be interested in knowing the answer to this too:

Okay I have some chicks that are 3 weeks old and then some that I got this week from a hatchery.

I was told by the people that I got my 3 week old chicks from that it would fine to let them be together after the 2 different ages was fully feathered out.

I want to know what do you think based on your own personal experience.

I don't have any adult chickens only these.

I have a huge enough chicken house that it is no problem keeping them seperated for however long it takes.

I just don't want to introduce them together too soon.

2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    From personal experience...I had 2 weekers and put in 2 day olds from the feed store, I was very lucky and had no problems what so ever. They are 12 weeks and 10 weeks now living happily together. I always say sooner the better. Some people may say....to quarintine for a few weeks before putting them together to avoid any spread of disease or illness. If you do a search on this topic here on BYC you will find some great info! Good luck!

3. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    I have 3 day olds to 3 week olds together with no problems. sometimes the littles gang up on the big ones but thats it.

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I would give the new chicks alittle time to grow some I find that I can put chicks together if I put them in a new brooder together. They seem to get along fine as noone has the home court advantage. I have put 2 week olds in with 1 week olds without problems I try to put the same sized chicks in together as I have several breeds that range in size so I worry more about that then age.

5. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Thanks for your wonderful advice. I just didn't want to get the new arrivals pecked to death. The new ones from the hatchery far outnumber the older ones though. It is so strange that some of the 3 week olds doesn't seem to have grown much and some of them have grown so much. I just moved the 3 week olds into a bigger brooder today. They had space but I wanted them to have more space. The 3 week olds were doing alot of chest bumping like they were trying to establish who is top of the chain of command and today after I moved them that behavior is not happening so much. I really look forward to letting them hang together.

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I'll give you my experience from the other side! I had 12 that were 2 weeks old and 15 that were a mix of 3, 4 & 5 weeks old. Decided to mix them together (thought the same thing better to mix them sooner than later). Everything was fine for the first 3 days. They all slept intertwined together together and everything. No picking at all. Came home from work on the 4th day to find one dead (it's vent was completly torn up) and 2 more that were the same just not as bad. Blue Koted them and they healed fine. I just mixed them this past Friday (the babies are 8 weeks now) and they get picked on a little but nothing major!!

I wish you luck and just watch them closely if you do!!

Missi

7. suzyq53511

suzyq53511 Drowning in Chickens!

Apr 30, 2010
    Beloit
    hmm i have not had one problem. they all have been handled a lot since they came.

I have a very larger brooder. I think that may also play a part.

Last edited: May 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by