I need advice on my baby chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shinyhappymomma, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Shinyhappymomma

Shinyhappymomma New Egg

Apr 27, 2010
    I have two 5 week or so old chicks. One is a Leghorn and one is a Polish Bantam. I had no idea of the size difference!!!!! I have changed to two bigger brooders now and my Leghorn is quite big and my Polish is still tiny and could not really imagine her out in the coop and run with my other two hens right now. And I know you have to introduce no less than 2 new hens to 2 old hens? Is this correct? I can not leave one in the brooder and put one in the coop. So now I worry that the Leghorn is not getting enough leg room. I do have a roost in there for them. What should I do? And are there any cool tricks I can try to make it so my older hens don't hurt my two baby hens when I finally introduce them? The hens came with the coop when I bought it and I just could not give them away. I originally had not thought of this because I was always going to raise my only babies together and not have any older ones.

Lisa

[​IMG]

2. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    A good rule of thumb is to wait until everyone is about the same size before introducing. Now granted the polish will always be smaller but she needs to be at least big enough that she can defend herself if something were to happen with the other hens. Is there any way that you could divide a section of your coop for your little ladies?

3. Shinyhappymomma

Shinyhappymomma New Egg

Apr 27, 2010
    You know I am not handy at all! I have a smallish coop and run just enough for 5 hens. I would have to build a coop within the coop maybe? My little girls seem happy but my poor Leghorn is so big compared to the Polish. If I have to give them a huge cage in the house until she grows a bit bigger I will. I would hate for anything to happen to them. If I could get a little dog crate or guinea pig crate I might put that in with the hens so they can see each other and just bring them in at night.

I see you have silkies!!! Oh I would love one of those!! Someday!!!

4. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    You could always make a tractor and put it in your run so that the other chickens can see them and they can see the others. We made a very simple one we just made a box out of wood with open sides and covered it with chicken wire and put a dog crate inside for their temporary coop. And yes we have 8 silkies. I love them. Although they are not the smartest chicken in the world [​IMG]. We are currently looking for a buff silkie and we can't find one anywhere. They are beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by