I need advice on shipping 8 week old chicks??

pride&joy

Songster
10 Years
Nov 16, 2009
South Florida (very south)
Ok so I have several trios of 8 wk, assil chicks to ship this week (only if weather permits). My questions are I live in South Florida normally the warmest spot on the map. It is normally colder where they are going? I was afraid to use a hand warmer thinking maybe it would be to hot while they are still down here? I can put and extra chick to keep things cozy but don’t want to over crowd either. Also what should my cut off temps be at the arriving city before calling it of. Also any tips on what to write on the box so the PO (who normally does a great job does not forget them on the outside stoop. Thank you in advance for shearing your hard won experience.

I ship lots of Asil all over the US. Personally, I don't send them until they are well feathered which is usually around 12 weeks.

Cold weather is the only time I ship. Make sure there is straw in the bottom of the box: give them a cut up apple or two to eat on the trip.
Feed and water them well before putting them in the box. Call your post office and ask when the express mail goes out. Take them one hour before.
Make certain you ship Express Mail. Everything should go fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom