I NEED ADVICE ON WHETHER TO KEEP A CHICK ALIVE OR NOT!!

jen61871

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2015
Reinholds, PA
hi. some of you may have seen my post the other night about whether it was time to step in and help a zipping chick that stopped zipping. I eneded up helping to a degree and then he hatched but even before i helped him his pushed to get out of the shell were not with the same vigor as the 22 chicks that came before. nor was he as loud as them trying to get out of the shell. He is 1 1/2 days old now and he is not progressing at all. If anything he is declining. I just was up with them and i picked him up and noticed he is either blind or too weak to open his eyes. I dipped his beak in the water a couple times but he was not interested. He yells once in awhile but other then that is pretty quiet which with my other chicks I would take as contentment but not sure how to take with this one. I just went up to take these 2 pictures for you all to see how he looks-at 1 1/2 days old and I again dipped his beak in water and he at least appeared to try and drink when i picked him back up or raised his head up rather. i did this a few times. Now please help me know what to do. In case he's suffering should I have my Honey put him down? Or should I wait and see how he does? I don't want to put him down unless I really should
IMG_7979.JPG
IMG_7978.JPG

Try giving it some molasses in water or sugar in water. That should help it some. I wouldn't put it down. You might not want it always putting it's face flat down cause it might have a harder time breathing that way. When you go to pick him up you may want to put your hands under the brooder until they are very warm. You also might want to avoid picking it up too much. It also could be deformed. Try to save him before you deside to cull it.

I've had a chick that was sleepy like that be fine after a few days. but most that are like that die. It's up to you, if you want to try to keep him going it'll be a lot of work and he still might not survive. did he have any yolk out when he hatched?

It looked like he might have had a little bit yes. this was my first hatch that I incubated and everyother chick did their thing. And I left him in the incubator for several hours unlike the others and when I finally took him out he had a very thin red string coming from his belly so I don't know what happened to the yellow stuff I saw.

I've had a chick that was sleepy like that be fine after a few days. but most that are like that die. It's up to you, if you want to try to keep him going it'll be a lot of work and he still might not survive. did he have any yolk out when he hatched?

Is he moving at all?
Honestly if he isn't moving, can't see, isn't eating or drinking, and appears to be declining I would opt for humane euthanasia.

Before making the decision of whether or not to euthanize it you should consider the quality of life the chick has now and would have in the future.

Is he moving at all?
Honestly if he isn't moving, can't see, isn't eating or drinking, and appears to be declining I would opt for humane euthanasia.

Before making the decision of whether or not to euthanize it you should consider the quality of life the chick has now and would have in the future.

He is moving but comparing him to the other 22 chicks he's not where he should be at this point. And what is humane euthanasia? I've never had to put an animal down

Try giving it some molasses in water or sugar in water. That should help it some. I wouldn't put it down. You might not want it always putting it's face flat down cause it might have a harder time breathing that way. When you go to pick him up you may want to put your hands under the brooder until they are very warm. You also might want to avoid picking it up too much. It also could be deformed. Try to save him before you deside to cull it.

I will do that. I have not been picking him up much . today was really the first I did. When you say he shouldn't lay with his head down, should I put him on his belly? Or what do you have in mind?

Back
Top Bottom