:( I need advice.

eggybritches

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Central Florida
The fifth duckling out of my newest batch hatched yesterday night. He spent the entire day in the incubator, but last night he was screaming his head off. He was fluffed out but it was obvious he was having some difficulties, but I put him in the brooder with the other ducklings to let him at least have a shot with some family around him. He snuggled in and they all went to sleep. So did I.

This morning I found him laying between the food and water bowl. I know he's been able to access food.

Now, my problem is...

His belly is really distended. I think he may have some internal issues going wrong with him. He is also a crested runner, and one of his crested brothers was born with his brain on the wrong side, so I know there are issues with these babies anyway.

Also, it's not spraddle leg, but he can't walk. One of his feet looks almost broken. It's malformed and he can't get it flat underneath him. So he can't really walk, he just scoots.

What would you do, duck people? I'm sure I could keep him alive. I want him to live, but I don't want to be selfish. I don't want to cull either, if you guys think he might be able to pull through.

Really, I'm just sad and I need a little advice.

Thanks.
sad.png

Sorry to hear about your duckling. My experience with chickens is that any of the ones that had problems when they hatched died sooner or later anyway if I didn't cull them.
Even if you can get them past the brooder stage its hard for them to make it in a flock.
Its a sad situation I know but it doesn't sound like it would be fair to him but you could wait another day or so and see what happens, maybe by then you can reassess his condition and it will be easier to make your decision.

I am thinking you can try but really it does not sound good. Maybe some vitamins and eperate it so it is just with one other duckling it might get better, but with everything you said it sounds like it has to many issues to overcome and probably some serious genetic problems. You will probably have to cull but if it seems to have a will you canb certainly try to help it out. So sorry I hate being in your possition.
hugs.gif

I am so sorry that your duckie is not doing well
hugs.gif

I guess you have to ask yourself if the duckie would have a good life if he made it through. Meaning...are you keeping him for a pet? Or, do you plan on giving him away or selling him?

If he is going to be a pet, maybe you can try and splint the leg to fix it. If you have the $$ take him to a vet to see what the swelling is.

If you were planning on selling or giving him away for whatever reason, maybe culling him would be best for him. Especially if he is suffering.

Its so hard to make these decisions. Sorry that you are in this position. I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

We had one of those and a vet friend recommended putting a bit of apple cider vinegar with the water, then letting him drink. It seemed to work very well but I'm still not sure why.

Back
Top Bottom