I need advise on how to tame chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mystary, May 10, 2008.

1. Mystary

Mystary Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    Jackson, GA
    I already have 4 Buff Orp big girls. They are 3 years old now. I have had them since they were a week old. They are sweet and tame. I have handled them since they were babies. Last night I went to the local auction because I wanted to increase my flock size. I bought 8 more Buff Orp they are about 6-8 weeks old. They haven't been handled much or maybe not at all. They seem so mean compared to my other chickens. Will they every calm down? How do I go about taming them? I have them in the brooder right now. I'm afraid if I put them in their own pen outside I will never be able to catch them. Any advise you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Tina

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Throw them some treats every once in awhile....just sit around talking calmly to them or pick them up , handle them gently, rub them under their beaks...just a few ways to get them to trust you....

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, the path to a chicken's heart is definitely thru their stomachs. That and quiet, gentle handling.

4. Ese_N_Gracie

Ese_N_Gracie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    I have Ese n Gracie from a hatchery and they took a long time before they liked treats....the first a rasberry then their love for cherries...I chop mine into bite size pieces. They will do jus tabout anything for sunflower seeds....I even trust that Ese won't bite me and he'll give me a "kiss" to get them (raw shelled no salt) . THey now have babies who trust me since I was there from the first moment...someone on the BYC said they develop fear after 48 hours...None of them "like" to be picked up. Gracie only likes her comb pet...hates her feathers being greased up with human smell....but Ese likes to sit on my lap and watch TV....I miss sharing my granola with him in the am...now that he's a dad he is very busy...although he comes to me to be picked up and I'll pet him....he LOVES his comb and wattles massaged and almost falls asleep while I do it....but these things are all on their terms when they are in the mood...scaatter half the treats in front of you then when the feeding frenzy begins hold the rest in your hand until they come to it. Mine eat more now if hand fed...they lose interest in it on the ground. I give them treats several times a day (they also love tomatoes, red is slways a good color to get their attention) so when I go outside they are keen to see what I've brought them and come running when I call...Which I use the same call every time....

5. totallycity

totallycity Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2008
    TN
    Keep in mind that I am new and this is my first batch.....

I agree, mine seem to come with soft tones and just being around a lot.
    They are only 6 weeks old and I sit with them during meals when it's a pretty day outside.
    Right now I am just so taken with them I want to be outside all the time!

When they are eating I will try to pet & hold them as well.
    Right now I let them free range during the day and they will come peck on the back door to see if I'm around, I will start walking towards the tractor and they follow me, I let them in and this is when they have free access to food.
    usually about every few hours they are looking for more "easy" food so I let them in.
    Of course they have access to water 24/7, but the "grain pit" is only available when I let them back in the tractor.
    I always thrown feed on the ground to remind them that it's me they are getting this from.

Right now they just like both being inside to eat all they want & being free to forage.

Some will just NOT let me hold them, and I am ok wtih that too, they need space to decide.
    We have 2 out of 13 who really like to be held and 1/2 that just tolerate it.

Hope that helps, bottom line, treats or feed it's the stomach that rules the hen & rooster!

6. catfish

catfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Greenbrier, Arkansas
    Mine love flour tortillas and it makes the Mrs mad, I can come out there and reach down and they'll eat out of my hand. Theres about 4 that will let me catch them and they'll sit on my lap and eat.

When I show up they all come running to the fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by