1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need an answer...ASAP please!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justusnak, Jun 28, 2007.

1. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Some of you might remember...I had a little grey duck...Mo. Well, Mo was setting on a clutch of eggs, when she just up and dissapeared.! I have no idea how long she was on the nest, so I dont know when they will hatch. They are in my bator now...and I just keep turning and keeping the humidity about 60%. Now...my question...I just candled them...and it seems a few are pipping through into the air pocket. So, I stop turning them....right??How high should the humidity be now?? I just want them to hatch, since I have recently lost ALL of my ducks. Please...someone...help! How long should it be now? I have never hatched ducks!

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    STOP turning them. They need to orient themselves properly in order to pip into the aircell. You can also get a spray bottle and spritz the eggs once or twice. Up your humidity to around 75% add wet sponges or rolled up socks or something like that. Good luck. You duck may reappear. I had one that abandoned her nest one to two days before they hatched three times. I ended up hatching the third batch she left.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Thanks sooo much. I just spritzed them with some water. I keep a water bottle in the bator, so it is the same temp as the eggs. When I candled them I could feel on of them inside knocking around...ok, so no more turning. Any idea how much longer it might be?? I DO hope at least ONE of the 9 in there looks like momma. I miss my Momo. [​IMG]

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Its hard to guess how long. anywhere from 6 to 18 hours depending on how the environment is and how hardy the ducklings are.

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well......its 11 hours later....nothing yet. Havent opened the bator, just peeking in the tiny little window! How nerve racking!! I wish they would do something! I hear nothing...will they peep from inside the egg, like chickens? Come on babies...hatch!!

6. LuckysMom

LuckysMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    South Carolina
    What happened? Are your ducks okay? I hope so!

7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Well....its 6:45 am...nothing yet. I dont want to take them out and candle them....but, then I do want to! LOL Im trying so hard to be patient...I want them to make it,but im scared they might not be able to get out. Cant get humidity over 65% I havea bowl of water in there, a iece of sponge, and a wet rag...UGH. Should I just keep misting them? I dont get duck eggs, any advise?

8. cheepchicks

cheepchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Indiana
    Hello Just,

I still have those muscovies we traded for if you need them back. I hate that you lost yours and would be more than happy to let you have them.

Kim

9. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Hi Kim, No, thats ok....I have 9 eggs in the bator right now. 3 are pipping! Im getting so excited..these are from my little grey duck. You keep the muscovy's.....they have a great home!
    Now that mine are getting ready to hatch....I can not find un medicated feed anywhere around here! NOTHING! Every feed in a 50 mile radius is medicated! Now what??

10. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Did any hatch yet???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by